Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Which is more difficult, pavers vs lg blocks?

Hi,
I haven't done any brick/paver patios yet. We have an area against our home that gets no sun, as the attached garage sticks out on that side.

I would like to make a 10x10 small patio to store some kiddie pool stuff and the like. The area has no grass and is all dirt and moist most of the time.

Initially I was going to put some 16x16 patio blocks on the dirt and be done with it, but the wife wants it "done the right way." Ugh.

So if I dig out the area (renting a dingo), put in the base, tamp it, screed the sand....which is easier? "Normal" size bricks or pavers from the big box stores, or these 16x16 patio blocks (probably 35-40lbs each).

I need to do the math as well....for 100 sq ft....the 16x16 were $2, which would be cheaper as well? (if someone knows quickly)

I am now wondering if more, smaller bricks would be easier than fewer heavier blocks?

The area will be more of a triangle actually...so there will be cuts to be made as well (with my 4" grinder??)

Thanks for the insight you may have!

kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 81

I don't know...the home shows always say the brick part is the easiest, so maybe the smaller blocks would just be more time consuming.

D270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I've done both and the only real differences are the look AND your back...

The base depth, material, and prep is exactly the same. If the look is irrelevant, then it's a matter of whether you want to be on your knees slinging a few 40lb 16x16 blocks or a bunch of small bricks.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

p.s. D270 is right that laying them should be the easiest part if you've prepared the base correctly. Take the time to get the base right and the job will be much quicker all around. If you say "it's good enough", you'll be fighting the base (rocking pavers, uneven joints) the whole way and it will take much longer to reach the end. I say this from my rookie "long way" experience
Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

My take on it is that the work is the same, so go with the final look you like better (99% of the time it's individual bricks).
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote