Moldy Thatch In Lawn? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Moldy thatch in lawn?

OH OH....No answers at all. If anyone has an idea about a remedy, I would be grateful.

What is happening to my shady lawn? I think I know some of the answers, but would appreciate clarification.
In late summer a particularly shady part of the lawn begins to get black patches showing between the grass.
Moldy thatch in lawn?-dsc04286-1000.jpg
At first I thought these were bare patches that needed reseeding. But no, the are mats of blackened material. I suspect it is moldy, moldering, thatch that is becoming blackened and not either drying out and falling further, or fully decomposing.
Moldy thatch in lawn?-dsc04287-1000.jpg
This does not happen in sunny parts of the same lawn. I do not leave clippings on the lawn, although suggested, because I know how quickly these become a matted thatch in both sunny and shady portions. So where is this matted mess coming from. I suppose it is still remants from mowing, or is it actually growing and adding to its own mass in the shade?
How best to rid the lawn of it? Raking right out? moss killer, dethatching? I know that cutting down the shade trees would do it, but that is not what I want to do.
Thanks for any tips.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hossenfeffer; 09-30-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 778

Moldy thatch in lawn?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4881109_rid-...mold-lawn.html

I found several links when googling 'black mold on grass'. The above link is just the first one I looked at. Evidently this is more common than I knew.

Where are you located?

Advertisement

Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Moldy thatch in lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
http://www.ehow.com/how_4881109_rid-...mold-lawn.html

I found several links when googling 'black mold on grass'. The above link is just the first one I looked at. Evidently this is more common than I knew.

Where are you located?
Vancouver, British Columbia.

Thanks, for the tips. Yes, I think that is exactly what I have and exactly what I thought. Good to get confirmation and now to proceed with the rememdy. Cheers.

Last edited by Hossenfeffer; 10-08-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: being nice
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote