Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

moisture in basebment, drain run next to house

I recently just purchased my first home and last week we had a couple rainy days. I went into my basement to find a lot of moisture coming through the wall. So the next day I went outside, started poking around, and found that the previous owners hand run a drain right next to the house. The pipe is maybe 1-3 inches away from the house. There is no gravel around the drain, and it looks like they just took some PVC pipe drilled some holes in it and threw it in the ditch and covered it with dirt.

Before I dig this whole thing up if I could get your help on a couple questions I haveÖ

1. Can the drain remain running that close to the house if itís done correctly with gravel and at the correct slope?
2. If not, how far away should I move it form the house 2-3 feet?

jjsaw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

How far down is the drain pipe buried?

It would have to be below basement floor level to be useful. It would also have to channel the water some distance from the house, or use a pump to get the water some distance from the house.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

The pipe is only 2-3 feet underground and really is not anywhere near the basement floor leve.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

You say this is a drain,what's it connected to?
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

After investigating further, there is a downspout from the gutters on the front of my house that look to be feeding into this drain. So the previous owner ran this drain right next to the house and didnít extend it past the house.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsaw5 View Post
After investigating further, there is a downspout from the gutters on the front of my house that look to be feeding into this drain. So the previous owner ran this drain right next to the house and didnít extend it past the house.

Just hook that downspout to a new pipe directed as far away from the house as you can.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

First, check to make sure the previous owners did not connect the downspout into the pipe. If they did, disconnect it, and then re-route it with solid pipe to a discharge area. It is not recommended to have any perforated pipe that high in the ground and that closer to your home. Make sure all gutters are clean and flowing correctly and leaders run well away from your home.

Ameri-Dry Guy is offline   Reply With Quote