Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |

Mistaken Vegetable Plants

I purchased some vegetable plants (Bonnie) early this spring. I wanted sweet red bell peppers, and I think I got regular sweet green. I think the ID spike was moved or wrong. The peppers are full sized. Should they at least be showing some red color by now? Do you think I got the wrong plants?

Same with Red Chili Hots; They look just like banana peppers but are dark green and look much longer than what is pictured on the ID spike. Either I have not waited long enough for the peppers to change to red or I got the wrong ones?

Thanks in Advance.....John
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Kap
Mowing my life away.

A lot of peppers will turn red after picking. Let them go a while longer. They may still need to fully ripen.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

They look as if they are ready for picking right now. My yellow peppers are yellow. You would think the others would show some red by now, unless I have giant peppers. Maybe it's the Miracle Grow...LOL.
I am sorry I bothered you folks.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Kap
Mowing my life away.

No bother here. No peppers yet either. Got a late start.

Got LOTSA beans though.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

It is quite disappointing, expecting red bell and ending up with regular green. Same goes for the hot red chili's.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #6

We grew sweet red bell peppers before, and they looked completely ripe and ready when they were still green. Not till later did they turn red and really sweet! Ours were kinda giant...

We could either pick them early, as green peppers, or wait longer and get red ones, depending on how patient we were feeling!

I hope yours may be still ripening.

If that's the case, just watch them closely. Once they start turning red, they're ripen very quickly, and the birds will find them!
Beth777 is offline   Reply With Quote