Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

microsprayers for small bed

I have a small, odd sized bed (triangular) with two rose bushes.. Right now it has a popup sprinkler at the acute angle of the triangle, which gleefully waters the bushes and half of the fence at the same time.. the bush closer to the sprinkler tends to block the one farther away from getting water.

So I am thinking I should take out the sprinkler head and convert it to two microsprinklers. What I don't know is, can I do this if the zone also still contains traditional popup sprinkler heads (they water part of my lawn as well)?

And what is a good micro sprinkler to use to provide enough water for a mature rose bush over say.. 20 minutes? I am in texas, so it gets hot in the summer, and I run the sprinkler about every other day in August.

Any help would be appreciated!
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

How big is the bed?
I presume the lawn is established?
Most but not all popups are adjustable. Yours?

For one thing, I would have the one sprinkler between the two shrubs. Better yet, either a drip system or two heads, one for each shrub. Roses do not like wet foliage (nor do a lot of other plants for that matter) but what you have now encourages black spot. That is why a drip system is preferable. Every other day is too often. Once or twice a week for a longer time is much better. You want to soak the soil to at least six inches.

A photo would be a big help.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #3

Yep, black spot has been an issue for me especially in mid-late fall when one day can be 90F and another day can be 70F and the water wonít evaporate quickly from the leaves on cool days. I usually water around 5-6 am. But then again, I also have blackspot issues in the winter too, when I donít use the sprinklers (the soil is still plenty moist and if not, i wanter by hand just the beds)

The bed is triangular, about 16ft by 10ft by 6ft Iíd say. The popup sprinkler is currently in the farthest corner, installed there by the builder. I know itís the worst possible place for the bushes, but in the builderís defense, this was originally sodded, not a flower bed, so it was okay for that application.

The lawn is established (~5 years old) with St Augustine. The roses are also established, about 2 years old and grow very well. In the picture I already clipped most of the flowers, but this week the left one was full of blooms.

I was thinking of following the instructions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH8IsRz1-k

where she converts the sprinkler head to microsprays. But my quick stop at home depot didnít turn up the microsprays and the adapter. L I was pressed for time so I didnít have time to find an associate to ask. I want to get this done in the next few weeks since itís cool here, nice to work outside, and the bed is due for new mulch.

I attached an annotated picture with the sprinkler running (it's a popup). I trimmed the picture down as much as I could but the forum shrunk it down even more. Hope it's still readable.
Attached Thumbnails
microsprayers for small bed-rosebed.jpg  
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Photo really helps a lot. I see the point of this originally being lawn. I would get an adapter, take the sprinkler head off and convert it to 1/2 inch funny pipe (that's what most people call the flexible black pipe that comes in rolls) and run two or three bubblers to the roses. I lean towards three, evenly spaced- one at each end and one in the middle with a higher gph rating to balance out the two ends.

Replace the pop-up with a male thread x barb elbow, T it in the middle of the bed and terminate each of the three branches with a bubbler.

Edit:
Or, if nothing needs watering behind the gate now that I re-read, T the line to two bubblers, one for each shrub.

Last edited by downunder; 12-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote