Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Share |

Michigan Patio - Stamped Concrete or Pavers?

Hi All,

I would like to update the backyard with a nice patio. I currently have a 10' x 12' concrete slab outside my sliding patio door, and it is in good condition (no cracks or chips). I am trying to figure out what the most sensible method would be.

Assuming I would like a patio around 15' x 18', and considering the existing 10' x 12' slab, would it make more sense to go stamped concrete or pavers. Is stamped concrete a bad idea in Michigan? Would adding to the existing slab be more economical than tearing out the existing slab for a new slab or pavers? I have a few inches above the existing slab to work with.

I am just trying to get an idea of what this community recommends based on my situation? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

sullijos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might consider expanding the existing slab if it is in good shape and then doing something creative with concrete staining to blend all together. In the right hands, concrete staining can be quite beautiful.

Stamping requires an artisan in my opinion but no reason you cannot consider it in Michigan. You can get concrete stamps in hundreds of patterns and combined with colorants and stains can achieve a variety of looks.

I suppose the stamped recesses might be prone to damage from freezing and thawing but so long as the concrete is of the correct type and consistency when poured and finished, this should not be a major issue.

Pavers might be a bit more prone to heaving in the climate than elsewhere.

You might look into something like quality, not box store, rubber pavers over an enlarged poured surface. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors ranging from running brick and interlocking dog bone, to squares and even cobblestones.

It really depends on your budget and what you are hoping to accomplish. As mentioned some approaches are not DIY. I think a library or Google type search exploring all the options is in your future. Then, you can get some bids for the approach you decide to take.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Thanks Sdsester! I thought I had read somewhere that it is generally a bad idea to add to existing concrete out of fear of future cracking. If I could add on vs start fresh, it may save a decent amount of money.

Regarding the rubber pavers you mentioned, if you wouldn't go big box such as envirotile at HD, what would recommend?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You would want to think twice before adding an additional concrete pour to the top of what you have but I was thinking you could pour new sections the same thickness and to the same surface height to bring the dimensions out to what you wanted. You would have an expansion joint between the old and new pour and wherever else needed to prevent cracking.

You did mention what you have is in good shape so I would see if you can find a decent looking way to preserve it. It would save you some money. Use a pattern of stain to unify the new with the old. Or cover all with a rubber brick, paver, cobblestone or square tile product. They even make some really nice looking outdoor rugs in just about any style, color, pattern, or whatever you could want. Perhaps one of those just laid over the top would satisfy your needs.

As for rubber pavers, I might suggest you start your Google (or whatever) search with IMAGES first. Then see what information hides behind those that intrigue you. Some are quite durable and are popular with those that raise, train and race horses. I am just guessing that if they would stand up to shod horses they should hold up to human bare or flipflop feet?

The specs for box store ones struck me as less dense. Seems like water could get in and freeze in more porous materials. This might not hurt them immediately but over time it would take its toll. Of course box stores also have the challenge of providing cheap consumer goods and at a hefty profit margin. This does not often point to a quality product.

Last edited by user1007; 05-15-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Somewhat depends on your preference and how much time and money you want to spend. I'll bet a new stamped patio would look great. But if the existing slab is still in good condition, just putting a border around it, of stamped concrete is going to be a lot more economical. Not sure if your layout allows you to just put a border around it to increase the size. Myself, I am not a big fan of paving stones. I see far too many that have settled oddly and have weeds growing between the bricks.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There were a lot of antique brick sidewalks where I used to live. If they had been maintained they were passable in the warmer months. Some of them were so neglected you had to walk in the street in the winter what with heaved bricks pointing up like shards and stuff growing up through them.

Hysterical preservation people went a little nuts if you threatened to remove them though. Sadly, they did not have enough clout to push for repairs.

In some places, antique brick streets had been paved over. Any time a repair was needed the crews would pull off the asphalt, pull out the bricks, repair the water or sewer line, refit the brick, and then pave over it again. Sublime to absurd!

Don't get me wrong, I am not for the willy nilly destruction of antique things but come on.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

SPS-1, I hadn't thought of using stamped as an interior border and simply expanding out with normal concrete. This option would certainly be appealing from an economic standpoint, but would there be quality concerns as far as cracking?