Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Post Out of Plumb/Soil Erosion

Here in Texas, my 6' privacy fence is leaning due to soil eroision issues. My neighbors trees has created deep shade causing my grass to die on the downhill easement side. When it rains the soil washes out into a rear entry driveway. I must correct the soil erosion issue & the leaning post. I welcome any suggestions for plants or products to aid the soil erosion. I've dug holes by the post & they are installed about 3' deep encased in cement about 2" below soil. I found an old wooden post cement block which has a larger perimeter of cement than the new metal post, would this make a difference? I need help on how to fix the post to be plumb.

Aceofsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

Picture.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

I'm a newbie, as of today...I will try to get some pics.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

I took a pic of the fence leaning and you can see the soil from my easement in the center of the alley, pic of the easement showing soil erosion problem due to grass dying & pic of the metal post cemented in place. Thepost hole dug partially filled in after a 1.6" rain. Hopefully these will give you an idea of what my needs are in order to repair. The fence has leaned outward to the point my gate will not latch. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Post Out of Plumb/Soil Erosion-photo0983.jpg   Metal Post Out of Plumb/Soil Erosion-photo0984.jpg   Metal Post Out of Plumb/Soil Erosion-photo0986.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Engineering Technologist

As far as the grass. I would try planting a grass seed that is specifically for shaded areas. But before you plant the seed, I would try excavating a swale in front of the fence to catch the storm water before it goes under the fence then the swale will carry the water to one area that you could install a catch basin to catch the water , then pipe it away. Not seeing the grade of your yard, it's hard to tell what to do. But if your yard slopes in one direction or the other, parallel to the fence, the swale will work.
runoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by runoff View Post
As far as the grass. I would try planting a grass seed that is specifically for shaded areas.

if your yard slopes in one direction or the other, parallel to the fence, the swale will work.
Thanks Runoff, I put out St Augustine sod & it grew with no problems until the deep shade occurred which is the shade grass choice for my area. Do you know of any shade loving ground covers? I considered applying a soil erosion blanket to temporarily correct the soil loss allowing plants to establish a root system & be able to plumb my fence. The slope is parallel so I will look into a swale.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Engineering Technologist

Sounds like a plan! I wonder if the St. Augustine died because of the erosion exposing too much of the root system and/or the conditions might have been too wet. Dunno. The erosion blanket is a great idea especially for the swale.
runoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Thanks Runoff, it's nice to have confirmation.

Tags
leaning, metal fence post, soil erosion