Maple Tree Dying. Can It Be Saved? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 129

Maple tree dying. can it be saved?

My Japanese Maple tree is dying. At least I think so. I transplanted these back in Spring, and not sure if I should still be watering it every day or should I just water it a few days a week.

It looks a little unhealthy, so not sure if it will make it. The weather is cooling down a bit (down to 80) so hopefully that will help revive it. It is in clay soil and was doing ok in its previous location.

Any suggestions of what I should do? Water? Fertilizer? Better soil?
Attached Thumbnails
Maple tree dying.  can it be saved?-tree1.jpg   Maple tree dying.  can it be saved?-tree2.jpg  

Advertisement

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

[QUOTE=greentrees;1244003]My Japanese Maple tree is dying. At least I think so. I transplanted these back in Spring, and not sure if I should still be watering it every day or should I just water it a few days a week.

It looks a little unhealthy, so not sure if it will make it. The weather is cooling down a bit (down to 80) so hopefully that will help revive it. It is in clay soil and was doing ok in its previous location.

Any suggestions of what I should do? Water? Fertilizer? Better soil?[/QUOTE]

all the above, ( 10,10,10) for fert. I would also cut it way back to encourage the new growth, water deep once a week

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 129

i'll stop the plant store and pick up some fertilizer. wasn't sure how often I should fertilize it. I'll cut it back. hopefully it lives.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

If you have not been able to water it a couple days a week, or there has been no rain to help keep it watered, or even worse, a neighbor has been poisoning it, there could be many reasons why it is not healthy.

Contact the University of California Ag extension office in your county http://ucanr.edu/County_Offices/ and someone from that office should be able to help you out. They will ask for a branch, soil sample, etc. to see what is going on. Ag extensions are a godsend, when it comes to helping to figure out stuff like this, and there is no cost for them to help you out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
i'll stop the plant store and pick up some fertilizer. wasn't sure how often I should fertilize it. I'll cut it back. hopefully it lives.

once a year
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote