Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Many Shrubs

I have about 20 shrubs in my front yard. I want to get rid of them sometime this summer. What would be the easiest way to do this?

nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Many Shrubs

What type of shrubs?

In terms of the easiest way, I'd say hire a landscaper to come in to dig them up and haul them away.

In terms of DIY options (which I guess is the point of this board) I would recommend a few things that worked for me and people I know...

1) Put an ad in the paper for free shrubs as long as they come and dig them and take them

2) If you want to save them to give away, trim them back slightly, take a transplant blade and cut around the root ball near the "drip line". Once cut completely, leave them there until you'er ready to take them out, then the transplant spade should be able to lever them out of the ground with the root ball. Wrap up in burlap/tarp and give them away.

3) If removing and destroying, then preety much cut back to stump and pry out with transplant spade.

I'm assuming they're small shrubbery....

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Many Shrubs

First I'd use a lopper and cut some of the main branches down so you can access the root ball. Dig up the root ball with a shovel and/or mattock. Then, you'll need some fill dirt/soil, to backfill the empty hole. Probably some mulch to go over that.

Also, do this asap. Otherwise, you'll hate yourself for waiting until the hot summer to tackle something like this. You might want to water lightly beforehand which will make the digging process easier. There's nothing harder than digging into dry dirt, but if it's too wet, it may be very heavy.

As I tell everyone, a wheelbarrow is your best friend. Make sure you have one of these handy.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote