Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

Making a boulder out of scrap cement, rock, stucco, tile, etc

I really, really wanted a large boulder in my backyard.

Didn't feel like learning about, contracting or building, the faux rock products. Also unsure as to whether they are strong enough to climb on.

Didn't want to have one paid/delivered, since I'm sure it would be crazy expensive, not to mention the fact that my backyard is fenced, which would likely present a problem.

Now, I've got tons of concrete tiles, concrete pavers, concrete edges, etc. I'm also likely to have a bunch of extra bags of stucco.

Would it work if I kind of mixed them all together? I was thinking I could just form a good base, maybe even some random rebar thrown in here and there, and keep adding extra stucco/lawn cement scraps into the pile. I'd eventually have a small boulder, only it would look like crap. Of course, I could then just put regular, new concrete over my rock-mass, texture it the way I like, and then I'd be set!

I know this idea sounds, well, a little looney, but won't it work? I mean, this would give me my boulder, and save me from having to haul off all the extra concrete/tile materials from my property. Kinda win-win, right?

I feel that as long as there's enough strong cement/concrete in there to hold the mass together, and I shape it like I like, I should end up with a faux boulder of sorts, unless I'm missing something here?

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #2

That is neat idea. And recycling too. It would be great to see some pics when it's done.

Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
weekend warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
this would give me my boulder, and save me from having to haul off all the extra concrete/tile materials from my property. Kinda win-win, right?
or it may give you a two-ton monstrosity to dispose of . try experimenting with a watermelon sized boulder, and see how it turns out.
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #4

haha yeah that's what stopped me from going for it the other day lol. I've already gotta dispose of the stuff, but when I started making it, I realized it was taking waaaaay more mortar/cement than I thought it would've, so I stopped because you're right, I was goign to end up adding more weight (a lot more) to my already huge scrap pile.

Maybe I'll try making a smaller one first, or maybe just hauling that stuff off
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Actually missing quite a lot.. What you are going to end up with is a large ugly ball of concrete/stucco to break up and dispose of. It is a big leap from raw material to the acceptable "faux" rock/boulders that you see everywhere. The material must be colored and stamped with rubber mats to put the rock "grain" on. It is truly a hands on craft that only comes with experience.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote