Make Them Grow Straight - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


I have 2 maple trees currently gowing .. and I want them to grow straight.. (I have 2 other maple grows.. they are not straight and now they are too big).. How can I do that ?

I currently tied them with the rope around the branches.. what is the best way of making them grow straight..

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040334.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040335.jpg

Advertisement

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Rewards Points: 1,000
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
I have 2 maple trees currently gowing .. and I want them to grow straight.. (I have 2 other maple grows.. they are not straight and now they are too big).. How can I do that ?

I currently tied them with the rope around the branches.. what is the best way of making them grow straight..

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040334.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040335.jpg
What do you mean by making them grow straight? The trees in the photo are grown more as a bush (as it is many small trees together) with many branches from the ground. A tree is normally 1 trunk from the ground.

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
What do you mean by making them grow straight? The trees in the photo are grown more as a bush (as it is many small trees together) with many branches from the ground. A tree is normally 1 trunk from the ground.

Jamie
Well. I am sure I didn't put my question right. I have 2 other maple trees they did not go straight. I meant, after the trunck the main branch did not go up but bent towards the ground and into my backyard. I want this to go up straight. Does this make any sense to you ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Rewards Points: 1,000
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Well. I am sure I didn't put my question right. I have 2 other maple trees they did not go straight. I meant, after the trunck the main branch did not go up but bent towards the ground and into my backyard. I want this to go up straight. Does this make any sense to you ?
So are you talking about pruning these tree - bushes out and just leaving one tree, and you want to make sure that tree grows up straight?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
So are you talking about pruning these tree - bushes out and just leaving one tree, and you want to make sure that tree grows up straight?

Jamie
Yes. I wan to make sure the tree grows up straight. As you said, in this case there were many small trees. All these small trees grown from the trunk (There was a tree, I cut it last year since it was fallin on backyard).
I though it was died.. but appearently it didn't.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Rewards Points: 1,000
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
All these small trees grown from the trunk
In this photo, I drew lines were I can see at least 3 different trees growing from the ground. I am sure these are all tied in together below ground at some point.
Make them grow straight-p7040335.jpg

If you want this to grow like a tree, then you are going to need to remove these extra trees, leaving the best looking one. It doesn't really matter how connected they are now, they are obviously too low to ever be meaningful branches on the tree its self.

Once you trim out the excess trees / branches if the one that is left isn't straight, then you can work on straightening it. You can use something like a dowel or a bamboo steak, and tie it to the part of the tree that needs to be straightened with something flexible like a nylon stocking. Make sure to watch it frequently as it grows, so the stocking or the dowel doesn't grow into the tree, if you just leave it long term, the tree will eventually get girdled and die. You will likely be able to remove the steak by next spring, maybe sooner, all you can do is try it, and check it in a couple months and see if it is straightened out.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamiedolan For This Useful Post:
cprao (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
In this photo, I drew lines were I can see at least 3 different trees growing from the ground. I am sure these are all tied in together below ground at some point.
Attachment 22237

If you want this to grow like a tree, then you are going to need to remove these extra trees, leaving the best looking one. It doesn't really matter how connected they are now, they are obviously too low to ever be meaningful branches on the tree its self.

Once you trim out the excess trees / branches if the one that is left isn't straight, then you can work on straightening it. You can use something like a dowel or a bamboo steak, and tie it to the part of the tree that needs to be straightened with something flexible like a nylon stocking. Make sure to watch it frequently as it grows, so the stocking or the dowel doesn't grow into the tree, if you just leave it long term, the tree will eventually get girdled and die. You will likely be able to remove the steak by next spring, maybe sooner, all you can do is try it, and check it in a couple months and see if it is straightened out.

Jamie
Thank you for pointing those addttional trees. I am sure there are more than three trees in this bush. So basically you want me to identify the good looking one and cut the remaining trees. Then make sure the good looking one is growing straight (using the above technique).

Am I getting the point ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Thank you for pointing those addttional trees. I am sure there are more than three trees in this bush. So basically you want me to identify the good looking one and cut the remaining trees. Then make sure the good looking one is growing straight (using the above technique).

Am I getting the point ?
Ok. I cut down some of the addittional trees. Temporarily tied the straight looks tree with rope. Eventulay replace this rope with bamboo steak or something like that..

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040365.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040366.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040367.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...h/P7040368.jpg

Last edited by cprao; 07-05-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: addded pics
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Rewards Points: 1,000
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Ok. I cut down some of the addittional trees. Temporarily tied the straight looks tree with rope. Eventulay replace this rope with bamboo steak or something like that..
This is a smaller tree, but it was very bent. It is tied on with velcro straps:
Make them grow straight-img_3541.jpg

You may have to use something stronger like a piece of metal conduit to tie those up to. You may still need to cut back some more to give you enough room to work, to put in steaks and tie up the trees.

I would try and do that fairly soon, once they get much larger, they will be more difficult to impossible to get straight.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Make them grow straight


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
This is a smaller tree, but it was very bent. It is tied on with velcro straps:
Attachment 22241

You may have to use something stronger like a piece of metal conduit to tie those up to. You may still need to cut back some more to give you enough room to work, to put in steaks and tie up the trees.

I would try and do that fairly soon, once they get much larger, they will be more difficult to impossible to get straight.

Jamie
Excellent. Thank you very much for your visual display. very much helps. I will do it soon.

Advertisement

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get bottom of Inkberry Hollies to grow joshoc Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 09-21-2009 06:34 PM
FREE plans/instructions for easy to make Magic Box! DangerMouse General DIY Discussions 5 07-23-2009 05:14 PM
hardwood flooring installation - How do I make a straight edge? McCool Flooring 8 07-03-2009 01:01 AM
how to make white mortar for brick wall nhertel Building & Construction 2 05-26-2009 09:22 AM
Anyone know how to make cafe doors? versatile1 Carpentry 3 08-01-2008 10:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts