Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Low Voltage Post Light

Hi All,
I would like to install a standard post light and perhaps some other lighting around my driveway. For the driveway lights I am intending on putting a 12v transformer in my garage and running the low voltage out.

The post light is where I hit my snag. Most all of the post lights I see are line voltage whereas I would like to run it off of my low voltage line. Is this as easy as buying the post light of my choice and tearing the wiring out and adding a new low voltage receptacle? Is there a reason low voltage lights would be poor in this situation?

Thanks,
Brian

b_corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Low Voltage Post Light

I've been known to hit the auto or marine supply store for such retrofits and it works out fine if you can find something bright enough. Watch the power draw on the transformer and beef it up if you have to though. You might see if there is a low voltage LED that is bright enough.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote