Low Voltage Landscape Lights - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

low voltage landscape lights

i have a 10 light low voltage landscape lights on a timer.6 of them dont turn on and 4 do turn on.Tonight they all came on.It has done this several times recently.i have no clue why its doing this.I thought it was transformer so i replaced it,but same problem .Any reason or solution ? thanks .

Advertisement

fred1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,278

Lamps may need to be reconnected to make a positive contact with the low voltage wire. Most have metal tips that push through the wire to make contact. Over time the outside elements compromise this.

Make sure they are making good contact with the low voltage wire.

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Just dig up wires and make sure there connected tight ?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,278

No need to dig up all the wires. I usually just pull my lamps up or use a shovel and make sure they are making good contact with the wire.

Additionally, check all places where the wire is connected to; like timers, control panel, etc. Verify connections are tight and making good contact and not all rusted out.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

I had said(I think) that they were all working,now last night they werent all lit.Do I have to seal contacts somehow?Thanks for your help .
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1845 View Post
i have a 10 light low voltage landscape lights on a timer.6 of them dont turn on and 4 do turn on.Tonight they all came on.It has done this several times recently.i have no clue why its doing this.I thought it was transformer so i replaced it,but same problem .Any reason or solution ? thanks .
Are these wired from one continuous wire that originates at the transformer?

Most common problem that I have found with low voltage landscape lights is the connections failing. The in-ground clamp that fastens the fixture cord to the low voltage feed is prone to failure over time. In some instances I have soldered the wires to stop it from happening again.

You may have a spliced low voltage feed wire in the ground with a faulty connection. I would start looking near the beginning of the section of lights that stopped working. Wear kneepads and gloves.

Several years ago a business hired me to restore all of their outdoor lighting including some low voltage landscape lighting. My first day was spent assessing and I found that one section of LV lights only needed bulbs. I went back a few weeks later after I had received replacement parts and found that same string of LV lights dead. Turns out the landscaper had removed several bushes in my absence and the wire got sliced.

MrElectrician.TV

Last edited by MrElectricianTV; 01-23-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Remembered something
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Its a continuous wire to transformer.Lights to backyard are on same transformer,but those are working fine

Advertisement