Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
IJC

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

low presure on sprinkler system

Here is my question, I'm on a well for my water, and the water presure for my sprinkler system starts off strong. Then after about 2 min the presure drops. I was told that the pipe for my sprinkler system was after the presure tank, that the pump could not keep the presure up on the tank there for the drop in presure. So it was suggested that I have the pipe for my sprinkler system move to the pipe that is coming right from my water pump. I did do that, now it worse than it was before. Any reason why?

IJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Have you calculated the total flow and pressure demand of your sprinkler system? Lawn sprinklers need fairly high flow rates in gallons per minute (GPM) and high pressures too. Drip irrigation works in gallons per hour and at low pressure.

To start. Do a simple addition of the requirements of both water and pressure demanded by each head or emitter. Does this come close to the output of your pump?

I am guessing you are water flow rate as much as water pressure. You may have a leak somewhere too?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
IJC (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
IJC

Thanks, I'll check into the flo rate.
IJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might also think about converting anything but turf to drip irrigation. You can get GPH emitters from about .5 to 12 gallons per hour in just about any configuration you can imagine from simple drip things to misters, bubblers and even things that look and act like little rainbirds. Drip works under low pressure and simple systems like I once designed are exactly as exciting as watching paint dry.

If you buy from an irrigation supplier it is cheap, easy to install and plants love it. One drawback is most that works well has to be on the surface but plants will grow so nobody notices it.

Not much in drip technology has made it to turfgrass yet though. But when designing I was usually able to convince people to plant other things but lawn. Next to maybe a conventional, not a natural (as is the trend) pool it is the highest of any landscape maintenance elements.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote