Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Lost Maple Tree

Today I had a beautiful maple tree cut down at the front of my home. It has been slowly dying for the past 3-5 years. Why it went so quickly is what puzzles me.

We live in a rural area with a septic system. Our septic tank is only ten feet from the tree. Our water softener recycles three times a week and Iím wondering if the salt brine deposited in the tank from the softener could have had an effect on the tree. I donít want to plant another tree in itís place and have the same result. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Lost Maple Tree

Soft Maples go bad, due to rot or insect damage. Doubt that it has anything to do with your water softener. I personally would love to get rid of all three Maples in my yard, but cannot afford the almost $2500 to do it.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 326

Lost Maple Tree

Might be more concerned with the tree roots getting into the drainage field for the septic. The roots can reach up to 1 1/2 times the width of the crown of the tree. Ten feet seems kind of close.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Lost Maple Tree

No drainage field, just 1- 1,000 gallon tank and 2-1,000 gal dry wells. Had to use dry wells because of the trees.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Lost Maple Tree

Maples are a fast-growing, short-lifed tree.

Was this one rotted-out on the inside, like most of them?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,550

Lost Maple Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I personally would love to get rid of all three Maples in my yard, but cannot afford the almost $2500 to do it.
why so much ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Lost Maple Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
why so much ?
One has our power drop & telephone drop, so they have to come down, then the fact that it is around eight feet in diameter at the base, and the crown is over our garage & house. The other backyard hangs one large limb over the neighbor's house, so that would mean a truck in their drive to drop that section, but smaller diameter.

Then there is the front one, which is small like the second back, and is V'd at about three feet from the base, but the truck would have to be on the street blocking at least 3/4 of it.

To trim out one of them, is around $260, for some a deadman hanging up in the crown still after a storm late June.

Taking down trees is not cheap, especially when structures and utilities are involved.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Lost Maple Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
One has our power drop & telephone drop, so they have to come down, then the fact that it is around eight feet in diameter at the base, and the crown is over our garage & house. The other backyard hangs one large limb over the neighbor's house, so that would mean a truck in their drive to drop that section, but smaller diameter.

Then there is the front one, which is small like the second back, and is V'd at about three feet from the base, but the truck would have to be on the street blocking at least 3/4 of it.

To trim out one of them, is around $260, for some a deadman hanging up in the crown still after a storm late June.

Taking down trees is not cheap, especially when structures and utilities are involved.

Having been in the tree care industry for a very long time, I can say, your right

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote