Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

locating drainage pipes

I'm planning to get my driveway paved but first I need to locate my drainage pipes from my septic since I was told one goes down the middle of where my driveway originally was. I need to know how far up I can go to the tank which is right beside the house. I also want to pave the walkway and have it attached to the drive way which no matter what will cross over some drainage but not much since it won't be but so wide.

How do I locate these without digging up my front yard?

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

locating drainage pipes

Go to the health dept. your house is new enough there going to have it on file.
It should also be in the paper work you got at the signing when you bought the house.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #3

locating drainage pipes

I went and got a copy from the health department and the drawing on that paperwork shows the septic in front of the house. Its obviously beside the house but I am pretty sure I know where the pipes are now anyway. One goes down the driveway and then there are 4 more every 6 feet apart or so going off into the front yard. The paperwork says they are all 24" deep. Now, how bad would it be to just put asphalt down on top of the one pipe so that the driveway can fit both cars side by side? I'm also planning let let them pave the walkway and attach it to the driveway which will go over the pipes also but I'm fine with that be torn all up if something were to happen and we had to dig out those pipes for some reason in the future. Any input?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

locating drainage pipes

It's a bad idea to drive, park, or pave over a leach field. In many areas, it is a code violation.

It blocks moisture evaporation, reducing the amount of liquid that can go thru the system. Compaction of the soil from pavement prep or the vehicles driving over it will also impact the rate that liquid can drain/evaporate.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

locating drainage pipes

Makes since. Only thing that gets me is that it was driven and parked on for 11 or 12 years because it was part of the driveway before we bought the house. Also, right where I suspect the first pipe to be it gets muddy when it rains and stays muddy a lot longer than the rest of the yard. Its a big reason we want to pave so we don't step in mud getting in and out of the truck. I'm just gonna show the guy where the pipes are and tell him to stop beside it. Sucks because that makes it not possible to park 2 cars side by side at the front of the driveway.

It says on the pprwrk that it was OK to put the septic on the other side of the yard too. Should be illegal to put septic and drainage right under and around the driveway.