Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Link to water feature project pictures

I just figured out how to use Shutterfly and opened a "share page" so everybody can see the water feature and landscape project we did last summer. Here is the Link: http://mgsmngallery.shutterfly.com/ It should come up as M & G's MN gallery. Click on the pictures tab to see what we have done. I would like to see your comments. Thanks

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

That is an amazing waterfall you set up there! How long did it take???

I'm interested in building my own waterfall, I found this resource: http://www.landscapeplanet.com/ (how to build a waterfall) But its not a full on DIY guide. Do you have any resources?

Thank you!

jerrywoods2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

When I got the idea to build a water feature, the first question my wife asked was, "How much will it cost"? That shook me into a reality check. How do you figure out the cost of something you have no idea how to construct? So, I came up with the idea to draw it out on Google Sketch-up. I diddled around with the design and eventually figured out how much rebar, chicken wire, livestock fencing, quick-crete, sand, cement blocks, field stone (concrete chunks were substituted), rubber pond lining, and how big of a tank, pond, and pump the project would take. The sketch-up drawing really helped to visualize and scale out everything. I was able to even calculate how much water would be flowing through the system at any given time, which determined the size tank and pump I would need. I do wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a 300 gallon reservoir tank. That is the only regret I have. As I brought my idea to realization, I researched ferro cement, water features, waterfalls, streams, pond plants and landscaping, and pumps on Google. I watched endless videos on You Tube also. I would recommend "Ponds gone wrong" which is a series on You Tube produced by "Pond digger". You will learn tons of info from there. Look at everything you can find about ferro cement. That was the hardest subject to pin down and get an exact mix on. I finally experimented with sand mix, mortor mix, and portland cement and got a good texture that would trowel out and stay in place.

The actual construction took from May 1st to June 9th. I had about 2 months of research, planning, and cost estimating. The whole project cost was about $6000. That doesn't include labor, dirt, sand, or concrete chunks or rocks which we got for free.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more advice.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Wow! Thank sir, for all this insightful information. Yeah you're right about the budget, first and foremost that will have to be worked out. I'll go check out those vids on youtube! Thank you again!
jerrywoods2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 556

Impressive waterfall, I see the birds love it as well.
We have a waterall over our backyard pond made from
stone. I was never quite happly with the waterfall, (every spring
we seem to rework it...We do however have several small
waterfalls throughout the pond that we love.

You did a great job on the exeuction of your project.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

I am looking out our sunroom window and wondering if everything will make it through the Minnesota winter abuse. I drained everything and brought the pump inside, so I have my fingers crossed. This year I want to add a little more texture to the "mountain" so vines will climb on it. We tried to get trumpet vine to climb it last summer, but the surface didn't have enough roughness for the tendrils to grab. We sure enjoy everything about the whole project. We bought hammocks so we would rock away the time, watching the birds and listening to the water...really awesome!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsawyergp View Post
I am looking out our sunroom window and wondering if everything will make it through the Minnesota winter abuse. I drained everything and brought the pump inside, so I have my fingers crossed. This year I want to add a little more texture to the "mountain" so vines will climb on it. We tried to get trumpet vine to climb it last summer, but the surface didn't have enough roughness for the tendrils to grab. We sure enjoy everything about the whole project. We bought hammocks so we would rock away the time, watching the birds and listening to the water...really awesome!
What planting zone are you in? We're in zone 7 and vinca vine and english
ivy do well here and grow like crazy.
If you want plants to cling to the mountain you can purchase grapevine
roping at the craft store (like Michaels Arts and Crafts) drape it over the
mountain and the greenery
will cling to it. We use it on our Clamatis. It also gives a place for the
birds to land on in the winter.

We love vinca vine and have it in all our beds, it shares space well
with other plants and grows like a weed. It's invasive, but we love invasive plants.
The English Ivy is envasive as well, but has to be kept under control or it will choke out the other plants.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

We are on the edge of zone 3 and 4. This winter was like zone 5, but some winters can be like zone 2. I am just learning about plants. I have been a woodworker all my life and haven't had a minute to play in the yard, so this is all a new experience and a treat for me. My wife is from California and knows the plants out there, but these harsh winters are a new experience for her. Everything dies back to the ground every winter here, but we do see wild vines coming back and going crazy so we are deciding which to plant. We are interested in Clamatis or the wild version that we see around here, called "Virgin's Bower". We definitely want vines that flower and attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Thanks for your input and interest. It is fun to share this new adventure.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I am still trying to download pictures to this forum, but can't get it to work. Sorry.

Tags
general discussion, landscape photos