Lines In Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

lines in lawn

how do the pros always get the nice looking lines in the grass? is it because the grass is nice and the mowers they have are good? or do they have something behind the mower that makes the lines too.

Advertisement

jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

lines in lawn

I guess I'm a pro, because my lines always look good!

Unless you're talking about something else, the lines are just wheel tracks. Drive straight (or at a 45 angle if you're feeling ambitious), and you get nice lines. I use the tracks as a guide, always keeping the wheels of the mower precisely on the track from the previous pass.

I have used different mowers and my grass is in bad shape in the front yard (back yard is nice), so I don't think either of those things are that important. Nice thick grass always helps, though.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jay 78; 04-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

lines in lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
I guess I'm a pro, because my lines always look good!

Unless you're talking about something else, the lines are just wheel tracks. Drive straight (or at a 45 angle if you're feeling ambitious), and you get nice lines. I use the tracks as a guide, always keeping the wheels of the mower precisely on the track from the previous pass.

I have used different mowers and my grass is in bad shape in the front yard (back yard is nice), so I don't think either of those things are that important. Nice thick grass always helps, though.
i always use my rider for different patterns, my lines are straight as an arrow. i think its probably the thickness of the grass because my lines arent as noticeable
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 592

lines in lawn

The lines are called 'stripes'. It is accomplished by a couple of things happening. It happens when the blades of the grass are pressed down (by weight of the mower, wheels, striping kit, etc.) and also by the way the blades on the mower lift the grass. Zero turn mowers do this best, but even my rider does a decent job, providing you cut your grass no shorter than 3 inches. Google striping kit for mower and you'll find lots of options.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote