Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

Limestone rocks

I have these all around my house. I want to get rid of them all, but since there are so many I need to ask a few questions. Is it worth posting an online ad to try and sell them all? How much are they worth? I found someone who would come pick them all up, but my concern is if they get hurt on my property can't they sue me?

Rocks retain water so I need to get rid of them for this reason. I am looking for someone to bring my brown compacted soil so I can create a pitch away from my home.

Let me know, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Limestone rocks-image-3664410875.jpg  

Last edited by dinosaur1; 03-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Limestone rocks

Of course they can sue you if they get hurt on your property, but presumably you have homeowners insurance to cover that. As to the value of your limestone, the only way to find out is to post on Craigs list or equivalent. But if you don't want to let anyone on your property, its gonna be hard to move them, unless you propose to deliver them.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman
Of course they can sue you if they get hurt on your property, but presumably you have homeowners insurance to cover that. As to the value of your limestone, the only way to find out is to post on Craigs list or equivalent. But if you don't want to let anyone on your property, its gonna be hard to move them, unless you propose to deliver them.
I could always bring them to my local city recycling area, but maybe I should put them next to the street with a "free rocks" sign.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Rocks retain water so I need to get rid of them for this reason. I am looking for someone to bring my brown compacted soil so I can create a pitch away from my home.
Ayuh,... Those rocks Aren't retainin' any water,...
Water will Easily run right around 'em...

It appears in yer photo, that too many times already, more dirt has been brought it...

It appears in yer photo, the the general grades need to be cut Down, not raised even more....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo

It appears in yer photo, that too many times already, more dirt has been brought it...

It appears in yer photo, the the general grades need to be cut Down, not raised even more....
I agree which is why I am going to remove the mulch and add brown soil which is compacted pitched away from the house.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo

If I want to bring in brown topsoil and pitch it away from our home where do I start? I have mulch on top so I would need to remove that, but what's the easiest way to remove the existing topsoil?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #7

Limestone rocks

You would be far better off looking at installing a french drain.
Your siding is far to close to grade already even if you removed the mulch.
It looks like the lawn is already above what you would end up with a finished grade so all the waters running down the hill toward the house.
It's the mulch holding in the moisture not the stones.
Concider yourself lucky if you can even get someone to pick those stones for free.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Limestone rocks

Quote:
but what's the easiest way to remove the existing topsoil?
Ayuh,.... Easiest is with a Bulldozer, 'n loader....

A Shovel, 'n pickaxe, 'n rake, 'n wheelbarrow would also work...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #9

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
You would be far better off looking at installing a french drain.
Your siding is far to close to grade already even if you removed the mulch.
It looks like the lawn is already above what you would end up with a finished grade so all the waters running down the hill toward the house.
It's the mulch holding in the moisture not the stones.
Concider yourself lucky if you can even get someone to pick those stones for free.
I found someone who wants to buy them. Now it's just making a plan for the new brown topsoil.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #10

Limestone rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Of course they can sue you if they get hurt on your property, but presumably you have homeowners insurance to cover that. .
Not true. Just because someone gets hurt on your property does not mean the homeowner is liable.

If the homeowner did something negligent or created a hazard and failed to inform the invited guest, then the homeowner may be liable for injuries incurred.

To establish negligence, an injured party is required to prove: (1) the existence of a duty owing to the injured party; (2) a breach of that duty;
(3) proximate causation; and (4) damages.

A property owner owes a duty to a business invitee "to exercise ordinary care and to protect business invitees by maintaining the premises in a safe condition."

If someone is over picking up rocks, which in of itself is a risk for a back injury, or open and obvious danger and they get hurt, barring some unforeseen circumstances no way can the homeowner be liable for that.

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote