Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Levelling off yard for a freestanding pool

Hey guys!

I've recently acquired a Bestway Steel Pro pool (10' x 30"), and we've set it up in the backyard (here's the product - family not included - http://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/prod...%22/1060746483 )

Now, as it happens, it says it needs completely flat ground, and the ground beneath it slopes downwards so that there's roughly 2-3 inches of water in one corner, and slopes up to almost nothing in the other (about 10" away).

Now, in lieu of digging out our lawn, I want to pad the underside of the sloping area with soil. Any recommendations on an efficient way of going about this?

My initial thought was to lay out a 10" circular of soil, put the pool on top of that, and then dig OUT of that, but then I've got a large, raised zone on my lawn after I've taken the pool down for the winter, though this also isn't a MAJOR concern.

Any ideas as to how to level the ground quick and painless for this project?

Thanks!

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Think you are going to need some sort of retaining wall beyond just leveling out the plot! You've added a fair amount of shifting weight to the slope situation and add in live loads to those natural to soil movement? You've changed more than you think and should probably consult an engineer to determine how much retaining wall you need. Then you can worry about filling in and leveling.

If you do not retain what you have the stresses will just take it down the slope on ya. I promise.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Bombastic Idiot

you're gonna be a lot better off digging a fairly level circle, a couple of inches deep at the low side, deeper at the high one, and tamping 2 or 3" of bedding sand down level in it. Doing that you'll also find any roots, rocks and such that you didn't even know were there and will wind up poking a hole in the liner. Speaking of that did you "acquire" a bedding liner also? A thicker circular pad that you lay down first? I'll join sdsester in promising you that if you just throw out some dirt and level it without a retaining wall, which could be harder to make than leveling a hole, or just plopping it down on that few inches of slope, it is gonna slide, roll and flood the whole yard.And you without an Ark. Or have you never seen one of those home video shows, folk's above ground pools are always collapsing 'cause sumbudy figured they didn't have to follow instructions."What harm could a few inches do?" As the Bishop asked the actress.
I won't ask how you acquired it. But i sure would like to find the person who "acquired" my $1500 worth of tools and box, I'd stake him out just down slope from your pool.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 08-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

EASY!!! do what I did it worked well and was fairly cheap, fairly fast and fairly easy.
You'll need a truck... I Went and bought a a couple scoops of pine bark mulch and used that to build up the lower side over filling by about an inch to allow for settling. Spread and rake it and check for level using a 2x4 or etc. To save mulch I let the center swag a couple inches and that worked out well.
After 2 successful seasons my grandkids outgrew the pool so I just removed the pool, raked up the mulch and recycled it in the dog pen!!
I did cover the mulch with a cheap tarp to protect the liner.
cparktd is offline   Reply With Quote