Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Share |

Leveling Yard & Trees

Hi Everyone,

My back yard slopes heavily toward the bayou in the back. This of course floods whenever it rains. I have several fully grown hardwood trees (oaks, cypress, pecans). I don't want to cut those down.

I was thinking of adding dirt to help level it off but I don't think I can add dirt against the trunk of a tree, can I? If not, what about building a well around the tree?

What ya'll think?

Thanks,
Tim

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Leveling Yard & Trees

You certainly do not want to mound dirt around a tree trunk and especially not with the climate y'all have down there. Howisyomommaenem by the way? Bet ya a dollar I can tell you where you got them shoes! Show your ... I love Louisiana and almost moved there. Friends said I would always be regarded as a Northerner though. And the humidity here is swamp like at times. Not sure I could do it in your part of the World.

If you want to hold the land, you are probably going to need some sort of terraced retaining wall system. You could build retaining walls/wells for the trees at the same time. I guess but whether they would hold long term is another matter. And how tall would they have to be?

Save for the flooding, how stable is this slope you have? How high are you going to have to raise your land to mitigate the flooding? Would a civil engineer and some regrading help drain the flood waters faster at all? What size lot do you have and what is the approximate angle of the slope now?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Leveling Yard & Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Howisyomommaenem by the way? Dey good.

Bet ya a dollar I can tell you where you got them shoes! Bet ya a dollar I could tell you where you got yours too.

Show your ... I love Louisiana and almost moved there. Friends said I would always be regarded as a Northerner though. And the humidity here is swamp like at times. Not sure I could do it in your part of the World. I can't stand the cold. I love the humidity.

And how tall would they have to be? At the bottom of the sloping, probably close to four foot.

Save for the flooding, how stable is this slope you have? Seems to be pretty stable. I've lived here four years and there's almost no noticeable erosion along the edges. On the slope, none.

How high are you going to have to raise your land to mitigate the flooding?
To handle the majority of the flooding except the worst, four foot at the bottom.

Would a civil engineer and some regrading help drain the flood waters faster at all? The flood waters come from Teche Bayou, and feed into Fuselier Bayou. My property sits on Fuselier. So likely no.

What size lot do you have and what is the approximate angle of the slope now? I have two acres. My house sits 100 foot from the bayou. The drop is close to four or five foot to where the raised house pad sits. I just ate a few hamburgers and hot dogs and a few beers, so I'm not doing math right now.
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote