Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Leaning Fence Reinforcement

Hi,
I have an issue with a leaning fence.
The ground level on my side is higher than my neighbours on the other side, and the fence is now leaning over towards his property.

The simplest solution for me is to install secondary fence posts next to the existing (leaning) fence, then strap the old to the new.
(see http://imgur.com/AVFcO for a beautifully made diagram).

Will this be enough to straighten the fence? How deep should the holes be for the secondary posts?

Thank you!

isp_of_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

What kind of fence is it? Sometimes a picture is better than a "beautifully made diagram".

If it is a wooden post and rail fence, you can drive a tall angle iron into the ground on your side next to the post, vertically, and then screw the post to it.

If it is a post and rail from a box store, know that the posts are generally much shorter and flimsier than fencing from dedicated fencing retailers. You might look around for better posts that you can sink to the proper depth.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

lol, here we go:

http://imgur.com/0k47P
isp_of_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the photo. I stand by my previous advice. Go get some 7' steel fence posts, put them right next to the existing fence posts, and pound them vertically in as far as you can get them to go. Then pull the fence to the steel post and fasten with some screws. $20 fix.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Why? that fence was clearly was not installed right.
The post were not installed deep enough and looks like there was never any concrete used or not enough to set the post.
Looks like a do over to me.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Agreed, but I thought all that was wanted was a cheap fix.

If you do want to go through all the effort of putting in new posts, I'd recommend pulling out that old fence and doing it right. It is not a long length of fence.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like a do over to me.
I agree...There really is no other worthy option imo.

isp_of_doom... I see no reason why the fencing and rails can't be reused.

Carefully disassemble whats there, install new post in concrete and re-assemble the fence.

Is it your fence, or the neighbors?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Hold on... Does that first diagram show existing 82 inch deep post holes? ah speck of dust on screen, 32. Had me there for a minute.
Is it really a 32" deep hole with that 16" vertical grade diff right there? Re-use all you can like kwik sez, isp.
Whose idea was it that a fence could hold back that grade in the first place? I don't think angle iron posts are gonna hold it for long. You might wanta go deeper and use longer post with as much in the ground as possible. Use pressure treated posts graded for in ground use, throw a couple of inches of coarse drainage rock in the bottom of the hole B4 setting post and pouring concrete to help prevent end rot. Using some long bolts, some thick all-thread with big washers and nuts, muscles and maybe a come along, you mite can pull the fence back to new posts. Then use bolts with thick fender washers instead of screws as much as you can, bolts thru new and old post and the fence panel, at least thru new post and fence especially up at top. And is the fence itself PT certified for ground contact? I dunno where you are but the termites might know.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Yeah, I agree with the suggestion to disassemble the bad part, put in a new one and put the panels back up.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #10

19 years ago I put up a 6' pressure treated privacy fence around my back yard with 40 posts set in concrete. Over the years 6 or 7 of the posts started leaning outward like yours but not quite as bad. This past summer I spent 2 days digging down around the concrete then pulling/pushing the post straight, and then filling the gap created in the ground outside the fence with sand. It's a lot of work but my fence looks straight again. I will post some photos I took shortly.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

This is one post behind my shed that was straightened with before and after pictures. It was very tough digging because I did this in June and it was very dry here and most of my digging was in clay. The soil was pounded back into place around the concrete after I had the post pushed straight. Right now all my restraightened posts are still standing straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaning Fence Reinforcement-fence-repair-8.jpg   Leaning Fence Reinforcement-fixing-fence-june-4th-5th-2012-019.jpg  

Last edited by Larryh86GT; 03-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #12

If the posts are set in concrete it is going to be tough straightening them and tough digging holes next to them. Impossible, I think!

You might try installing secondary posts one foot downhill from existing posts Then saw all the posts off and slide the whole fence downhill one foot.

I say "might" because a.) I can't see the bottom of the fence and b.) I'm not sure how enthusiastic your wife will be when you ask her for help...

puttster
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Most posts set in concrete only have a 1' wide by 2' deep chunk down there. It's really very simple to just dig out one side next to the chunk and push the post over that way. I've done it and it wasn't very hard.

It would seem like an astoundingly bad idea to cut the posts and move it. That's just a terrible idea. It'd leave posts looking like hell and they'd lose use of the space left behind. Dumb, all around.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #14

I disagree. "Only" 1' wide concrete? Even if you could dig down on one side it doesn't mean you can straighten the concrete-encased post unless you are willing to give up a foot of property.

Best to get the sawszall out and cut your losses.

puttster

Last edited by puttster; 03-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Bill Kearney

What's so hard to understand?

A post hole gets dug, typically about 12"-18" wide and a few feet deep. Gravel gets dumped at the bottom. The post gets put into the hole and concrete is poured in around it. This leaves the post sticking up out of a plug of concrete. So when the post leans (for whatever reasons) you just dig down on the opposite side of the lean and push the post back toward it's original upright position. Presumably you might have to remove a fence panel between the posts to make this easier. But once it's back upright you'd then fill and compact the soil back in around it.

How is this so hard for you to understand? And how on earth does moving the fence make better sense?

Tags
fallen, fence, leaning, reinforce, sagging