Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Share |

Leaf blower

So this is my first fall in new England and we have a wooded lot. I'd like to get a leaf blower. Just looking for advice on how many mph does it need to be, electric or gas? And is a backpack thing necessary or will a handheld suffice? We have a lot of trees and about .7 acres... Thanks, hopefully this is the right forum to post in.
laorquidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
JOATMON

Leaf blower

I think your in the right place....

Backpak? Naw....unless you plan to make a living out of it.

While your at it.....you might want to look into a leaf vacuum.....depending on your weather....it could be hard to coral the leaves if it's windy....a leaf vacuum mulches them up....then you toss that into a compost pile for spring's planting...

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Leaf blower

Depends on the layout of the house in relationship to the yard and the avaliblity of outside outlets.
An electric one will always start, can be stored for a year and not have the carberator plug up.
Any gas powered tool that gets as little use as a blower is going to give you trouble.
There also going to cost far less to buy.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Rav

Leaf blower

Personally I swear by the Toro electric Ultra Blower/Vac/Shredder. It has a metal impeller, so it won't break like plastic impellers when shredding small twigs and such. It's variable speed, and claims to have a top speed of 235 MPH (255 CFM), but whatever, it is very powerful for both blowing and vacuuming and leaf shredding. It's relatively easy to switch between the blower and vacuum attachments. I end up with many fewer bags of leaves due to the shredding. Yes, it's a pain to have to drag an electric cord behind it, but I'd rather deal with that than the disadvantages of gas blowers. I would also recommend buying an extra vacuum bag; the zipper on the bag is the weak point and I've gone through 2-3 bags over the years -- you don't want to be in the middle of cleaning up your lawn when the zipper breaks and you can't continue. You can see it at http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51599-Var.../dp/B000H1Y4EK
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rav For This Useful Post:
laorquidia (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Leaf blower

Thanks rav! I was looking at that model and it's the one I purchased from amazon!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Leaf blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorquidia
Thanks rav! I was looking at that model and it's the one I purchased from amazon!!
Ok - actually I bought the newer model which was sold and shipped from amazon... Hopefully it works well.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Rav

Leaf blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorquidia View Post
You're welcome!
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote