DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Laying stepping stones (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/laying-stepping-stones-53437/)

kirridam 09-20-2009 02:13 PM

Laying stepping stones
 
Folks,

I want to lay some stepping stones along the side of my house. Can someone guide me in the right direction? What all materials do I need for this project. The path will be a little winding. Also, I want to know what tool I should use to cut the stones. These are the stones that I'm planning to lay: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RED&lpage=none

Any advice would be very useful.

Thanks,
Kirridam

Mr Chips 09-21-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirridam (Post 330049)
Folks,

I want to lay some stepping stones along the side of my house. Can someone guide me in the right direction? What all materials do I need for this project.


Pavers can be cut with an abrasive blade, or even with a brick chisel and hammer.

Are you looking to make a wide path, or just put down some single stones?

either way it's pretty easy, and rather than waste a lot of time trying to spell it all out for you, my advice is to just google "diy paver patio" or something similiar and you will get ton's of useful info, materials lists, directions, videos, etc....

kirridam 09-22-2009 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips (Post 330353)
Pavers can be cut with an abrasive blade, or even with a brick chisel and hammer.

Are you looking to make a wide path, or just put down some single stones?

either way it's pretty easy, and rather than waste a lot of time trying to spell it all out for you, my advice is to just google "diy paver patio" or something similiar and you will get ton's of useful info, materials lists, directions, videos, etc....

Mr Chips,

Thanks for the information. I got pretty much everything I wanted to know. The attached image will show you how the path will look. As you can see the path is quite curved! Do you think I can use a jigsaw, with a stone cutting blade, to cut the stones in semi-circles?

Thanks
kirridam

Mr Chips 09-22-2009 10:32 PM

i have never heard of anyone using a jigsaw for pavers, but I'm not saying it can't be done.

it might be easier ( and possibly cheaper in the long run) to just rent a gas saw. you could lay all your pavers, mark them with a piece of chalk and just use a gas saw to trim them, while they sit right where you want them

Allison1888 09-24-2009 06:44 PM

path
 
I would also think about the use for the path -- is it just functional or do you want people to pause at various parts of your garden to enjoy the view, aroma of roses, etc. If it's functional, the layout you have is fine, but if you want it to encourage a more leisurely stroll, you could have it curve in around the middle.

kirridam 09-25-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison1888 (Post 332056)
I would also think about the use for the path -- is it just functional or do you want people to pause at various parts of your garden to enjoy the view, aroma of roses, etc. If it's functional, the layout you have is fine, but if you want it to encourage a more leisurely stroll, you could have it curve in around the middle.

Allison1888,

Do you think you can include a picture of what you have in mind?

thanks
kirridam

beerdog 09-26-2009 11:13 AM

I have a friend who owns a landscaping company and build this stuff all the time. He does all his cutting with miter saws and tile saws loaded with special blades. You can frequently rent the rights saws from the companiesthat also sell the stones. I think you can buy stones like this in semi-circles already cut for making winding paths. If you build it from flagstone you can cut and shape with a hammer and chisel.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.