Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laying a Path

I want to lay a gravel path in my yard and I'm wondering why I need to lay sand down first. Could I just use underlayment fabric, or do I really need the sand? Everything I have read says that I need to lay it down, but nothing says why. I would like to save as much money as possible, so if it's not really necessary, then I don't want to buy it!

whittymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
It's always something

Rewards Points: 150

Laying a Path

If you're laying pavers, the sand is necessary to make things more level / keep weeds out but if you're just using gravel and nothing else, I don't see why you couldn't just lay ( optionally ) a border and then throw the gravel down. I'd personally use a border to keep the gravel from getting out.

Fabric ( in theory but never in my my experience ) would keep the weeds from coming up through the gravel but it seems to me that it would let the gravel move too much.

Maybe some others will chime in soon

SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Laying a Path

I am just going to use gravel, and I already bought the garden edge borders, so I will definitely be using those! I talked to someone else, and they said that the sand will help to keep the gravel from moving around. I would still like more feedback though. I kind of agree with you, that between the borders and fabric, it should be ok. At the same time, I'm doing this myself, and its a lot of work, so I really want it to last and be done right.
whittymomma is offline   Reply With Quote