Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Share |

Lawnmower preferences

So, I inherited my late father's lawnmower this spring and was looking forward to finally having a self-propelled mower. I took it in for service and was told it would be several hundred dollars to fix it, as the blade is shot and the crankshaft is bent. It's a 12-year old Lawnboy.

The other bad news I received is that Lawnboys are no longer made. My own non self-propelled mower is a 22-year old Lawnboy that still runs fine. I always figured I would only buy a Lawnboy due to how long they have always lasted in my family.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any recomendations for what brand of self-propelled push mower I should buy. Even though my mower still works, I now have it in my head to get a self-propelled. After 22 years I figure I got my money's worth out of my mower.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Lawnmower preferences

I have a Honda HRZ self-propelled, works great
I bought it off craigslist for almost 1/2 price brand new
Mulching & has the front caster wheels for easier turning

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
homeowner learning quick

Lawnmower preferences

I just got a Honda HRX and used it for the first time this week. It has a mulching blade and a handle to allow for full mulch, full bag, or various levels of both. So far so good and I have heard nothing but good reviews on Honda self propelled push mowers
J
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #4

Lawnmower preferences

First off...pretty much nothing made today will last 22 years....it is indeed true that they do not make them like they used to!! That being said...

I bought a Toro consumer grade in 2008...the design is awesome and realiability horrendous....It's pretty much literally been back in the shop for warranty repairs more than it's been with me. Thank good ness for the 2 year warranty...Toro has lost a fortune on my mower. Lot of carburetor problems and its in the shop 3 weeks tomorrow to get the drive mechanism repaired. I've also tried a Troy Bilt self propelled and that was total junk.

Were i to be in the market for one now...I'd likely get a Honda....or I might consider another Toro but irrespective of brand it FOR SURE would be a commercial grade bought from a dealer...figuring to spend between $500 and $700. I'm not aware of ANY mowers at the big box stores that are any good...possibly excepting Hondas. Good luck.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Lawnmower preferences

Lawn Boy's are still made, but they now have Brigg's and Stratton Engines. If you look at the FAQs for lawnmowers on their site the Parts are available from "your nearest Toro Authorized Service Dealer"
ttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

Lawnmower preferences

I really like my Toro, it does however have the honda engine on it, so it should last!
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #7

Lawnmower preferences

I've had the Toro personal pace with solid aluminum deck and Briggs engine for a number of years. It's been good to me.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #8

Lawnmower preferences

From here
http://www.mowersdirect.com/style/se...d8V7a_w&page=2

The price range is $300 to $3500 with half costing between $390 & $650.

You want 22"?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Lawnmower preferences

I bought a Yardman 6.5 HP SP from Wal Mart and have had about 4 years of service from it. The first thing I noticed is that even though it is self-propelled in the forward direction it has some drag in reverse which somewhat offsets the benefit from the SP feature. The clutch has been failing since last summer and I am not sure if it can be fixed. I must tak it into a shop and see about that. I am considering going back to the push mower- one less thing to go wrong plus I am not fighting it in reverse.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #10

Lawnmower preferences

Reference my prior post above....Got my Toro Personal Pace Recycler back from the shop today. Bought it new in Aug 2008 and just had a whole new "transmission" put in ...on warrranty thankfully. Spoke to the guy at the shop....He said it's wroth stepping up to the Super Recycler version for a number of reasons......not the least of which is full 5 year warranty...and a mower is one product where you will very likely need that warranty....also said the Personal Pace works great on flat properties....which just don't exist in my neck of the woods.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Stairguy

Lawnmower preferences

i have the Husqvarna 7021rb it has a honda motor. single lever height adjustment (very quick and handy i might add) and a blade clutch(also a very cool feature, hard to find to many that have this) for $429. love it
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #12

Lawnmower preferences

The first thing I would do is to get a second opinion concerning the crankshaft
If nothing else, buy a blade, install it and see if there is a problem.
Lot cheaper then buying a new mower.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #13

Lawnmower preferences

i agree with asking on the crankshaft, that's a very odd part of the motor to bend. where it's bent is also a question. if you can find the specs to the engine you should be able to measure run out with a caliper and dial indicator.

lawn mower wise

$200 - craftsman
$400 john deer

over that i'm getting a tractor

i really don't think you can go wrong with any of the good ones though, husky, honda etc
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #14

Lawnmower preferences

I too am looking for a good mower... Grew up with Yardman but have recently realized the 'tank'-like weight of our second one. Recently got mother a Troy-bilt with Honda engine...Effortless.

I am really tall and my lower back kills after using mine...

Any ideas on a good one for the giant-class male???
Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #15

Lawnmower preferences

Another thing: I'd vote for rear wheel drive.

VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote