Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lawn wet spots

A lot of trees have been removed from my front landscape 15 (8000 sqft). I think the soil needs building up but don't know how to go about it. There is a small 15ft square area near the house that had a large evergreen (area about 15ft the tre was about 20 feet and had started to grow into the windows) had to be removed, obviously planted to close, we had the stump ground but the area seems to pool water. I'm guessing it needs more soil because of the tree roots. Is it just top soil or should it be mix? Currently grass and an aborvatie is there but when it rains I can see the water on top of the soil. We also have an area in the rear yard that has 10 evergreens about 25ft each but they are dieing back. They used to be full to the ground but each year we have removed dead branches from the bogttom and they no longer are the intended privacy line (plus they look pitiful). The ground, about 4 feet out to the lawn area, pools water. I'm not sure maybe that is what caused their demise. But they were so beautiful and I want to replace them but do not want to run into the same situation if it can be avoided.

mrswalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lawn wet spots

Quote:
we had the stump ground but the area seems to pool water. I'm guessing it needs more soil because of the tree roots. Is it just top soil or should it be mix?
Ayuh,.... It All comes down to the fact that Water, Flows Downhill....

Without seeing your lot, you've either got to Lower the grade of the dams(high areas) that are holding back the water,...
Or,...
Fill the holes(low areas) the water is sitting in, til it overflows the dams you've got....

Plain ole Top dirt, or fill dirt, then top dirt is up to you...
Many times, scrapping the dams, uphill, can fill it in depressions....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote