Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Share |
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


I have a lawn that is full of all things weeds and crabgrass. I know you can seed in the fall, but can you effectively weed kill too in the fall? I'm not sure if my money is best spent on the offensive effort in the fall or spring...

__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
I have a lawn that is full of all things weeds and crabgrass. I know you can seed in the fall, but can you effectively weed kill too in the fall? I'm not sure if my money is best spent on the offensive effort in the fall or spring...
Yes, absolutely. Fall is a very good time to kill perennial weeds. In fact, it's one of the best times.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,708
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


I agree fall is a great time to attack the stressed weeds. I rarely have enough free time in spring to catch the pre-emergement so I always have better results from fall apps. Don't be afraid to core arrerate & fertilize while you're at it. Although it may seem minimal in fall when everything goes dorment, you're bound to reap the benefits in spring.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Sweet...thanks all.
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Make sure you get a post-emergent herbicide. I pre-emergent will serve no purpose in the Fall and will leach away before keeping annual spring weeds from germinating. And see if you can get the herbicide separate from a weed-n-feed type product. You do not want the high nitrogen content of such fertilizer inclusive products on the lawn so late in the season.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Make sure you get a post-emergent herbicide. I pre-emergent will serve no purpose in the Fall.
That's the link I was missing! I read a bag of weed-n-feed at the box store and it spoke about spring. I knew it was ok to seed in fall, so I was curious and had to ask the OP.

Great info all, Thanks!
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
That's the link I was missing! I read a bag of weed-n-feed at the box store and it spoke about spring. I knew it was ok to seed in fall, so I was curious and had to ask the OP.

Great info all, Thanks!
Do you buy fresh fish at your box store? Or a pork crown roast from your box store? Why in the World would you even ask advice of the minimum wage people in orange aprons about late season weed control in one save for seeking convenience? Unless the box stores around you have killed them all off? You must still have a real nursery and garden center with people knowing what they are talking about near you? That is where you should get your garden and lawn supplies. Or, walk to the sheds that deal with your parks or any golf course turfgrass management place (and meet the equivalent of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack) and ask them where to get stuff and how to apply it.

Last edited by user1007; 08-12-2011 at 02:17 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Do you buy fresh fish at your box store? Or a pork crown roast from your box store? Why in the World would you even ask advice of the minimum wage people in orange aprons about late season weed control in one save for seeking convenience? Unless the box stores around you have killed them all off? You must still have a real nursery and garden center with people knowing what they are talking about near you? That is where you should get your garden and lawn supplies. Or, walk to the sheds that deal with your parks or any golf course turfgrass management place (and meet the equivalent of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack) and ask them where to get stuff and how to apply it.
I'm hurt by the accusation that I actually got advice from the box store staff. I learned long ago they're worthless when it comes to technical assistance. I was perusing the isles not long ago in search of general paver pricing and decided to just check in on the weed killer available as it's on my target list to be done relatively soon. As I mentioned above, the instructions spoke of spring. I knew seed can be planted in fall, so why not weed kill I thought? Hence the OP here. Now that I've got a little more knowledge, I'll be heading to that nursery/garden center when I'm ready.
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
I'm hurt by the accusation that I actually got advice from the box store staff. I learned long ago they're worthless when it comes to technical assistance. I was perusing the isles not long ago in search of general paver pricing and decided to just check in on the weed killer available as it's on my target list to be done relatively soon. As I mentioned above, the instructions spoke of spring. I knew seed can be planted in fall, so why not weed kill I thought? Hence the OP here. Now that I've got a little more knowledge, I'll be heading to that nursery/garden center when I'm ready.
I think we should acknowledge - again - that not all the people working at HD are retards, nor are all the people who shop there. For instance, one of the guys in the flooring area of the HD near my home is a retired tile installer. He knows a thing or two. And I recently paid 57 cents sq/ft for ceramic tile I'll be installing in the back entry/laundry room of a rental house. Also, about a year ago I bought 30-year DuPont maple laminate flooring, on clearance, for 41 cents sq/ft. Works for me!

The bottom line is that you have to know what you're after, do your homework, and make sure you get what you want for the price you want.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
The bottom line is that you have to know what you're after, do your homework, and make sure you get what you want for the price you want.
The key to success on any project!

I do acknowledge that not all the people working at HD are retards, nor are all the people who shop there. My approach is to become prepared outside the box store so when I enter the box store I just need product, not advice. And Whoa I agree, they have great bargains sometimes!
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
The key to success on any project!

I do acknowledge that not all the people working at HD are retards, nor are all the people who shop there. My approach is to become prepared outside the box store so when I enter the box store I just need product, not advice. And Whoa I agree, they have great bargains sometimes!
Right. Sometimes the box store employee will surprise you with his/her knowledge and expertise. But it's not apt to be 19-year old DeShawn, with his pants down almost to his knees, that knows anything about installing doors & windows.


Also, I have become very "unloyal" as a customer. No bank, insurance company, supply company, or restaurant is really my friend. I will patronize whatever store/company has the product I want, for the price I want.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Lawn weed killing in the fall?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
I'm hurt by the accusation that I actually got advice from the box store staff. I learned long ago they're worthless when it comes to technical assistance. I was perusing the isles not long ago in search of general paver pricing and decided to just check in on the weed killer available as it's on my target list to be done relatively soon. As I mentioned above, the instructions spoke of spring. I knew seed can be planted in fall, so why not weed kill I thought? Hence the OP here. Now that I've got a little more knowledge, I'll be heading to that nursery/garden center when I'm ready.
Apology extended. Box stores scare me though. They will soon be all that is left.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Lawn Weed is this ? 1manner Landscaping & Lawn Care 8 08-14-2011 11:26 AM
Lawn was fertilized 6-13-10 and want to apply weed killer TDHUEY Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 06-28-2010 06:39 PM
Overseeded in fall: How long to wait until weed killer? C_J_GO Landscaping & Lawn Care 10 02-23-2010 10:38 AM
Seeded Lawn - Weeds, Weed & Feed dankreboot Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 05-31-2009 01:46 PM
new home, new lawn, fall care ? mahjohn Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 09-06-2008 03:38 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.