Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

Lawn sprinklers

Does anyone know what the lawn sprinklers are called that are above ground continuously, and are about two feet tall, and are 1/2 inch copper or plastic?

The reason I am asking I was wondering if you can add these to a zone where there are soaker hoses attatched? Anything would be appreciated
thanks

esmcrorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Lawn sprinklers

Before you spend money on sprinklers you need to be sure about the flow capacity of the soaker zone. Usually a soaker zone is a low volume and in some cases the installer may have used a smaller zone valve and underground tubing. If thats the case there may not be enough water pressure to allow the sprinkler to work properly. On the other side of the coin; the soaker zone uses the same zone valve and same underground plumbing as the rest of the system and a sprinkler or two can be added without any problem.

Do a little research to make sure your system can accomodate adding to the soaker zone and avoid a headache.

Open up the zone valve box, find the valve that controls the soaker zone and compare it to the other zone valves, see if you can find model numbers and the size of the tubing leaving the valves, if all the valves and tubes are the same size then go ahead with your plan

jasoninct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Lawn sprinklers

Thanks, Where wouldi find the zone valve box?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Lawn sprinklers

If you can find where the water supply pipe for the sprinkler system comes out of the house usually near that point is where you will find the valve box. Valve boxes are either round or rectangular and are buried so the lid is flush with the ground. Often they have green lids that have "irrigation control, irrigation valves, sprinkler valves" or something similar to that written on the lid. The lids usually need a tool such as a large flat head screwdriver be inserted into an opening to work a latch
jasoninct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #5

Lawn sprinklers

Sometimes I see these under "drip irrigation". Sprinkler warehouse offers them under "microspay"

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Microsprays-s/135.htm

Using your favorite search engine, you should be able to come up with a good variety of these things.

I use a lot of these types of sprinklers for flower beds. They tend to operate on about 20psi water pressure. I don't know what pressure your current system operates, so best would be to find out.

Consider, also, the need for filters. These things can clog easily.

I believe the response from jasoninct is accurate. Make sure your existing system can support additional flow rates required from these. This is in addition to determining compatibility with pressure.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Lawn sprinklers

This was helpful it worked like a champ thank you so much.