Lawn Sprinkler Wiring - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

lawn sprinkler wiring

i have 6 zones,but 1 zone runs all the time when the other zones come on.but it never runs by it self. help please

Advertisement

randall p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,182

lawn sprinkler wiring

Okay; I do not own a sprinkler system, but have tinkered with a few, and I am sure that there are others here who have a lot of experience with them, but regardless, some details would help. Let's start with is this a new system, with, perhaps, a design problem, or is this an older system, that used to work as intended, and suddenly does not? Have you recently made any modifications, or replaced any components? Is the solenoid that allows water to flow to this zone when all of the zones are running the same solenoid that allows water to flow to this zone when it runs by itself? Have you checked your control panel for any loose or damaged wires? Since you have power to the system, and the zone itself works, I would focus on the controller, and the connections there, but provide some more specifics, and my bet would be on someone having the solution.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

lawn sprinkler wiring

Some sprinkler timers have a 'pump' output terminal, which turns on a booster pump whenever any valves are 'on'. It's the same voltage as the zone outputs, and if you connected one of your valves there, it would have exactly the effect you describe.

Gary
Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

lawn sprinkler wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall p View Post
i have 6 zones,but 1 zone runs all the time when the other zones come on.but it never runs by it self. help please
Check for shorts in the valve box outside. If the insulation comes off the wires and they contact one another, you can get what your describing. This can also happen with a short inside the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote