Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

Share |

Lawn revival, How much is enough

Near Charleston, SC where the heat requires everything be watered with regularity. I'm about to undertake the last 2 or maybe 3 zones of irrigation and have noticed that this centipede grass seems to do quite well in sun or shade as long as it's watered enough.

Can I get away with dethatching these other areas, leaving the healthy grass, adding some topsoil (2 to 3 inches in some areas) setting up the irrigation and seeding? I know this seems too simple to be possible, but the areas where I have restored the irrigation system are becoming lush green lawn and I have done little besides giving the areas frequent waterings.

There's a well that's 380' and no longer used for anything but irrigating. I know I'll need to learn about what to put down to compensate for the sulfer and phosphorus in the water. But is there anything else anyone has experienced that could make this a more successful project?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Lawn revival, How much is enough

Your plan sounds good but if you're going to overseas with additional Centipede grass it's the wrong time of year. Centipede it needs to be seeded (or preferably plugged) at the beginning of the hot weather season as does any other warm season grass. They go dormant in the winter and seeds will rot instead of growing.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote