Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Lawn: Rescue Or Start Fresh?

I have recently purchased a home that has well shaded front and back lawns that have been left to their own devises. This has resulted in a sparse lawn that is as much weed as it is grass. Should i try to kill the weeds and save what grass i have or till it all up? Either way i understand that i will have to reseed with a shade tolerant species.

Also is there anything that can be done about trees that are breaking up my driveway? They are old and well established and it would be a shame to have to cut them down.

jseymour186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Experienced

As for the lawn, you are coming into the best season for planting grass so your decision must be made soon, if you kill everything you will have to wait at least (2) wks prior to planting.

I would spray a herbicide to kill the weeds, aireate the ground and spread seed and water.

As for the driveway, there isn't much that can be done to change the way roots damage the concrete or ashphalt, that I know of, enjoy the shade and of course the leaves in the fall.

Mark

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Aerating and overseeding---if the soil is not too compacted---as suggested might be worth a try and seed is not that expensive. Do one final fall feeding too. The worst that happens is you have to start over in the Spring if the overseeding does not take.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
As for the lawn, you are coming into the best season for planting grass so your decision must be made soon, if you kill everything you will have to wait at least (2) wks prior to planting.

I would spray a herbicide to kill the weeds, aireate the ground and spread seed and water.

As for the driveway, there isn't much that can be done to change the way roots damage the concrete or ashphalt, that I know of, enjoy the shade and of course the leaves in the fall.

Mark
Not to argue, but with roundup, you can plant the next day, at least the farmers do.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

I live in Oklahoma and temps art currently holding at 100 plus. With that said is is still a good idea to do any seeding now or would it be better to wait until later when temps cool down a bit?
jseymour186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseymour186 View Post
I live in Oklahoma and temps art currently holding at 100 plus. With that said is is still a good idea to do any seeding now or would it be better to wait until later when temps cool down a bit?
As weed killer are far less effective during the hot dry times of year I would hold off for a bit at least until it cools down a tad. Planting now would just mean you have to water like crazy just to keep the seed damp.

Mark
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Let's make sure we are on the same page with regards to generic reference to "weed killers!" The two major types are pre-emergent (keep seeds from sprouting) and post-emergent (kill existing weeds either exclusively by breed or anything they touch). Enter bio-engineering and farm seeds mentioned. They are marketed as "Round-Up ready" and supposedly no harm comes to them even if Round-Up flows through there recently sprouted systems.

Round-up as we use at home is a post emergent, systemic herbicide and in theory should only get into the systems of plants you spray with it. I personally would wait a couple week before putting turf grass seed down.

Whatever you do stay away from granular killers at this point and certainly from pre-emergents. You do not want to be putting down any sort of "Weed-N-Feed product now.

Good point about the heat as well if you live in where it is baking. If you have an irrigation system that can come on and turn off all day long you might pull it off. Wait until Fall.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote