Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #1

Share |

Lawn Mower Problem.

I have a four year old 7 hp push mower. Two things happened yesterday....I was putting it away for the winter, and (1) washed it carefully, and (2) when I was removing the blade, it acidently fell over on its back like a turtle. Now when I try to start it to let the gas burn off before storage, it seems to fire half way through the pull and the pull cord is ripped out of my hand. After many attempts, and having the skin ripped of my finger, it finally started but misses like crazy, runs for a while, and dies. Then is it back to having the cord ripped from my hand and try again.
I was careful with the wash, so I don't believe I got water into the gas, but I drained it anyway, and put in fresh. Also, after it went turtle on me, I let it sit for over an hour to let the oil go back into the reservoir. No carb adjustments were made, I have washed several times each year, and other than pulling a turtle, I don't know what the problem is. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #2

Lawn Mower Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
I have a four year old 7 hp push mower. Two things happened yesterday....I was putting it away for the winter, and (1) washed it carefully, and (2) when I was removing the blade, it acidently fell over on its back like a turtle. Now when I try to start it to let the gas burn off before storage, it seems to fire half way through the pull and the pull cord is ripped out of my hand. After many attempts, and having the skin ripped of my finger, it finally started but misses like crazy, runs for a while, and dies. Then is it back to having the cord ripped from my hand and try again.
I was careful with the wash, so I don't believe I got water into the gas, but I drained it anyway, and put in fresh. Also, after it went turtle on me, I let it sit for over an hour to let the oil go back into the reservoir. No carb adjustments were made, I have washed several times each year, and other than pulling a turtle, I don't know what the problem is. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
How did you change the blade? It sounds like the ignition timing is off.

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Lawn Mower Problem.

Yes, now that you mention it, it does seem like the timing is off, but for the life of me, I cannot see how I could have changed the timing by taking the blade off. I just removed the screw holding the blade on like I have done at least twice a season on several lawnmowers I have owned, for the past 25 years.
How does one check the timing on lawnmowers?
I used to do that in my younger years on cars, and still have my old timing light. Probably different for a lawnmower.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Lawn Mower Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Yes, now that you mention it, it does seem like the timing is off, but for the life of me, I cannot see how I could have changed the timing by taking the blade off. I just removed the screw holding the blade on like I have done at least twice a season on several lawnmowers I have owned, for the past 25 years.
Did you put the blade back on?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Lawn Mower Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
No, not yet. But that might be my problem. Found this in a web search.
"A compliance engine (light flywheel and engine brake) will run without a blade, but is very hard to start and will not idle properly".
In previous years I probably ran the mowers dry and THEN took off the blade. This year I took the blade off first.
I will try it with the blade when I get home. Thanks so much.

Last edited by polarzak; 11-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Lawn Mower Problem.

Then there you go. They don't run well without the blade.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

Lawn Mower Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
YOu know, I almost asked, and then didn't. Good call.
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #8

Lawn Mower Problem.

Well, that was the problem. I feel like a bit of an idiot after having rebuilt a couple of auto engines, and doing all of my car/house maintenance over the years.
Learn something new every day.
Thanks all.