Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Lawn help please

I purchased my first home in november and weather is starting to change i really wanna ge my lawn looking good! My backyard is a mess there is grass but patchy, there are pebbles and little to rocks all over the lawn and alot of dirt. I dont know much about landscaping. Im on a budget and want to do it myself, would sod be cheaper or just reseed, what exactly needs to be done? Do i need to rake all the pebbles up? I dont know where to start, i need alittle direction. Thanks!

Ckb3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

Lawn help please

Grass does not grow on stones, they have to go.
This web site can help you.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/solve/prob...entId=19300170
Your also going to have to have the soil tested to be able to figure out exactly what it needs and not just throw mony at it and hope for the best.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-26-2012 at 06:47 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to nathan.hawk Send a message via Skype™ to nathan.hawk

Lawn help please

I;m in the same boat as you. Just recently purchased my first home April 2011, and I am in the midst this spring, with my wife, in working on thelandscaping, especially the grass in back. Where are you located? Do you think there is a lot of weed in the grassy areas?
nathan.hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.hawk
I;m in the same boat as you. Just recently purchased my first home April 2011, and I am in the midst this spring, with my wife, in working on thelandscaping, especially the grass in back. Where are you located? Do you think there is a lot of weed in the grassy areas?
I am in long island,Ny. Yes some weed in grassy area, and even some pebbles. It's a mess! In one corner of my property near my garage it's like big rocks and dirt, I was told from a buddy to turn all that dirt and get the big rocks out then get a load of top soil and spread it out. It's going to be a project but it will look great after. Where are you located??
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Lawn help please

Your bud is could be right depending on how bad your lawn is. Then you could sod, seed or hydroseed.
RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to nathan.hawk Send a message via Skype™ to nathan.hawk

Lawn help please

In Columbus, OH, so generally a similar climate, it seems, and a very mild winter here in Ohio. I have (obviously from my post) not spent a full year in my home, so not quite sure about how it will start up this spring, but I did get some decent advice (soil testing which joecaption suggested to you) and about other related matters. Get rid of those pebbles for sure. Hope you find some great advice, and if so, please do share any experiences!
nathan.hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckb3216 View Post
I am in long island,Ny. Yes some weed in grassy area, and even some pebbles. It's a mess! In one corner of my property near my garage it's like big rocks and dirt, I was told from a buddy to turn all that dirt and get the big rocks out then get a load of top soil and spread it out. It's going to be a project but it will look great after. Where are you located??
another LI'er.... yeah, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to be generous with the topsoil on LI. Our native dirt is @#$@#. Either sand or clay with pepples and rocks. Once I cheaped out on the topsoil before seeding, and well, lets just say I'm procrastinating on digging that mess up and starting over
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI

another LI'er.... yeah, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to be generous with the topsoil on LI. Our native dirt is @#$@#. Either sand or clay with pepples and rocks. Once I cheaped out on the topsoil before seeding, and well, lets just say I'm procrastinating on digging that mess up and starting over
Yeah its terrible, i helped my father lay sod last summer and it didnt take, i learned my lesson with LI soil!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Lawn help please

Quote:
Yeah its terrible, i helped my father lay sod last summer and it didnt take, i learned my lesson with LI soil!!

well, any place they grow grapes for wine isn't going to be great for too much else... grapes like awful soil!
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

Lawn help please

I just redid my lawn this fall, although I had the problem of weeds growing and not a lack of growth. I would definitely recommend getting the soil tested, I did it with Massachusetts university extension ( I don't live in Massachusetts ) for about $20 and they give you a good recommendation about what amendments your particular soil needs. After that I'd pick out the big rocks ( about 2 inches or bigger in diameter would be my definition but its up to you), till the soil and amend in some new topsoil if you really think your soil is the pits.

As for seed vs sod, I did seed because it's a heavily shaded area and wanted to get the best grass seed possible but I think if I was doing it again I'd look at sod once more. Best of luck!
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Lawn help please

Well I guess you just have to start from the scratch. Remove the rocks and the pebbles and then start working on the top soil. Reseed will be a good idea. That way the grass is going to grow totally lush and uniform.
Joanne Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #12

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.hawk
In Columbus, OH, so generally a similar climate, it seems, and a very mild winter here in Ohio. I have (obviously from my post) not spent a full year in my home, so not quite sure about how it will start up this spring, but I did get some decent advice (soil testing which joecaption suggested to you) and about other related matters. Get rid of those pebbles for sure. Hope you find some great advice, and if so, please do share any experiences!

Lawn help please-image-512159944.jpg

Lawn help please-image-383813941.jpg

Just to show ya what im dealing with, not the worst lawn im sure but isnt great.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 258

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckb3216

Just to show ya what im dealing with, not the worst lawn im sure but isnt great.
Second picture, is the yellow stuff pebbles? If do that's quite a grouping and I'd rack those up.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Lawn help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB

Second picture, is the yellow stuff pebbles? If do that's quite a grouping and I'd rack those up.
Yes they are, very tiny ones. :/
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Lawn help please

Quote:
I purchased my first home in november and weather is starting to change i really wanna ge my lawn looking good! My backyard is a mess there is grass but patchy, there are pebbles and little to rocks all over the lawn and alot of dirt. I dont know much about landscaping. Im on a budget and want to do it myself, would sod be cheaper or just reseed, what exactly needs to be done? Do i need to rake all the pebbles up? I dont know where to start, i need alittle direction. Thanks!
Hi there! I just want to tell you about Lawn EQ. They've been a great help for me in finding the best lawn mower for my lawn.

DustinNelson is offline   Reply With Quote