Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Lawn Help

Hi everyone. My wife and I just bought a house and we finally have a lawn. Sadly while the house was in good shape the lawn has seen better days.

We just finished clearing our all the poison oak and ivy, and removed about 10 sweet gum trees from the back yard. The back is now a mix of dirt, wood chip mounds, a few piles of sweet gum balls that ive raked up, and small patches of grass the tree cutters forgot to rip up while dragging trees off.

The front is in much better shape its mostly small patches of dirt, with a weed and grass mix for the rest.

I dont have a lot of lawn maintenance experience this is the 1st house we have had. So other than mowing and cleaning up i Dont know what to do about the lawn. Im looking to get a list of things to do and when to do them as most of the sites Ive been reading have a lawn maintenance schedule. I'm also on a tight budget as most of our money went into buying the house.

Ill keep searching the older posts to try to put together a treatment program for myself but i figured id post something in case someone else has had to do this much lawn repair before.

I also attached a pic of the back yard damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn Help-yard.jpg  
garydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Solutions (handyman)

Lawn Help

Hi Gary, I assume that is your name. You've done the proper thing by the clean-up as being the first step.Depending on what you are planning for grass, shrubs, trees, water ponds, fountains etc. I would suggest taking some time and discussing a long term goal. If you are looking for a garden or other feature yard (shrubs, special trees), I would suggest that you take a soil sample and have it tested. This will give you an idea about what you can plant, successfully, and what you can't. The soil sample will also give you the "what you can do" if you have to add something to adjust a chemical balance. You may even have to have some additional top soil brought in. We all look at cost, especially for our first home, but it is a long term investment and any im,provement will add to the property value. Once this is done, you can find the best grass seed or whatever you plan to include into the yard. Just remember that the depth of a good soil will determing the quality of good growth. Even grass, although it will grow and almost any surface, should have 2" or more to establish a good root system.
Hope this helps. Have fun.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Lawn Help

Thanks,

Right now all im thinking is grass for now. My wife wants a raised garden bed but I told her I wanted to wait for a few good days to track the sunlight We still have about 30 trees in the back there is quite a bit of shade and I wont want to put it in a place where its going to be too shady.

So im keeping it basic now. Im just trying to repair the damage in the back and sure up the front.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Lawn Help

Quote:
So im keeping it basic now. Im just trying to repair the damage in the back and sure up the front.
Ayuh,... Clean up the piles of debris, level any larger more obvious holes/ hills...
Then overseed it with a mixture of grass seed, 'n white clover seed...
It'll green up, 'n be mowable...
It'll also keep the weeds down, 'n help fix more nitrogen into the soils...

I mix 5lbs of clover to 25lbs of grass seed myself...
It's abit much on the clover, but I see that as a Plus...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #5

Lawn Help

That sounds reasonable, thanks. I also got a note to do the following.

This month
1. Clean up the backyard, reuse the wood chips as mulch for other places.
2. Fill in low spots. and clear out any weed patches or dead grass.
3. Apply pre emergence herbicide or Feed ní Weed (in the front where there is grass).
Then
4. Reseed the lawn, and rake it into the dirt areas, apply any straw or cover in areas where rain might wash away seed. I was also told to try to figure out what grass i do have and match it if i want.

5. Also if I can i was told to aerate the lawn if its compacted.

Ill look into the soil testing but again im on a tight budget so ill have to research that a bit more too.

Im not sure about the order of seeding not sure if you can seed that soon after putting down a herbicide or if its in the right order. Better just post what ive gotten before

As for the clover mix, i think there is some in the front, but its a bit too much for my wifes liking. So ill have to look that up somemore before i make a decision. Thanks for the input.