Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Lawn Dying From ?

White patches on lawn. Small sizes, about 4"x 3". Seems to be killing the grass, making bare spots all over.

Anyone see these patches before? Maybe fungus?

Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Lawn Dying From ?

It possible to be a fungus, even the experts have difficulty in identifying which type of fungus it is.
This year I believe my lawn developed a fungus and I purchased a product called "Fung-Onil" which treats many fungus. Expensive as it cost $30.00 a quart and treats from 1600 to 3200 square feet depending on the fungus. I think I stopped it from spreading but will know in about another week or so.

Fungus usually gets a foothold from watering the lawn late in the evening when high humidity exists. So water only in the mornings.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Rewards Points: 25

Lawn Dying From ?

I had a fungus in my lawn early this summer. At first glance, or looking at it from a distance, it appeared to be suffering from drought. My local nurseryman told me to bring in some sample blades of grass. He showed me that some blades were totally white, dry, and dead. Others had brownish spots/streaks on them in varying degrees of severity. He sold me a granular fungicide (can't remember the name) that was also expensive--about $80 bucks to treat 5000 sq. ft.

He said to use the 'Rule of 150' to know when to start treating for fungus. That is when you take the daily high temperature and add the humidity level to it. If the total is 150 or higher, then conditions are ripe for fungus to develope. The preventative chemical rate of what I used is half that of the currative rate so it's much cheaper to catch it before it starts. My lawn was too badly affected already to save the front lawn. I'll be reseeding in the next couple of weeks but next year I'll catch it early.

Dave
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #4

Lawn Dying From ?

Well, I have reseeded some of the affected areas. Can put down a fungicide as long as I do so before the new seed germinates?
Thanks For Your help!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

Lawn Dying From ?

It may be too early for seed. Did your nurseryman say its time to reseed?
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #6

Lawn Dying From ?

No, Sept will be soon upon us and the weather is already getting cooler here. It will be September before they sprout.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Rewards Points: 25

Lawn Dying From ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
No, Sept will be soon upon us and the weather is already getting cooler here. It will be September before they sprout.
We have a large sod farm a couple of miles from us and I asked them what was the best time to reseed. They said not before Sept. 1st, and then to be sure to keep the seed moist which means daily watering (twice daily if really hot/dry days). Light watering is fine in the begining and then deeper, less frequent watering as the roots develope and go deeper.

Dave
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #8

Lawn Dying From ?

Right, I started this lawn late spring. May early June. Used Black beauty seed. Have reseeded just a little early based on how long it took to get germination back then. !2 days. I want to know if I can use a fungicide now before I get germination. Or will it hurt the seed?

Thanks