Lawn Dead Patches - Grubs? Something Else? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Lawn dead patches - grubs? something else?

My lawn looks ok except for some brown patches. I've looked at previous posts, and the most likely cause seems to be grubs. So, just with my hand, I was able to scrape off the dead grass to expose the soil below. It was easy because there was hardly any roots. But, I couldn't see a single grub.

How small are they? Should they be visible at the surface once you remove the dead grass? Or should I dig deeper to look for them? Or, by this time of year, have they all become beetles or whatever? Could it be something else? What and how should I look for that?

Advertisement

Rekonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like you heavy a pretty heavy layer of thatch which can harbor insect eggs and either plant or soil fungus/disease spores. Are you watering late in the day so the turf stays moist overnight? Try not to do so.

Have you tested for at least soil Ph? The turf does not look that great to me and I notice difference in color. It looks like the turf could stand to be fed, dethatched and aerated. Regular feeding is probably your best defense against many lawn ailments.

It does look like grubs though although usually you would see them later in the year. Could also be a harmful, not beneficial, variety of nematode infestation I guess.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 06-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Been getting a ton of rain in the last two weeks. Before that I've watered a little some mornings.

Will test for ph, are there others I should do as well? I haven't tested for anything yet, just moved in recently. I don't think the elderly couple that owned the house before did any lawn maintenance, so you're probably right on all that being needed.
Rekonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

A complete soil analysis is never a bad idea so you know where you are. State or University Ag may have some resources free in this regard or at least a list of reasonable soil labs. They will coach you through how to take samples, etc. Their report will suggest how to adjust the soil and what nutrients and ammendments to add.

If you haven't yet, I would go ahead and give it its first feeding soon. You might consider a weed-n-feed product if broadleaf weeds are in issue for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote