DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lawn care service costs?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tbone2004 
#1 ·
I'm in a constant battle with my lawn and was wondering what the costs were to have a company like Lawn Doctor service my lawn. Is it worth it? Or should I maintain/fertilize myself.

#2 ·
depends on where you live and what you have done and what your particular lawn needs - does it require dethatching, aerations, etc. DO you have irrigation, what shape the lawn is in when the company comes in, etc, etc. The biggest determining factor you have not mentioned is what size is the yard? If you are sitting on two acres, the costs will be a far cry from those if you had a postage stamp lot....

I live in NE, on a 24K sq ft lot. My land is almost entirely level and requires fertilization, aeration and irrigation and mowing. The guy I bought the house from had companies maintain the lawn - If I remember correctly, he told me when I took over the house that he paid $850 per year. I went out and bought a lawn tractor w/ a spreader and aerator attatchment for less than what he would pay every two years. I am still learning how to care for my lawn.

#3 ·
I found that after I added up the cost of the chemicals etc and then factored in the time to do it - then the time to redo if I did a poor job was not too far off from what they charge me to do it.

I try to offset the cost by doing my own aeration and overseeding. These guys (like LD) strictly fertilize and treat disease for me. The complimnets year after year are worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.