Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Large stump killing?

i have a big ( huge ) silver maple that's going to be taken down. the main trunk is about 4' in diameter, and at ground level - with the root footers - around 5 or 6 feet. it going to be stump ground, but in my past history with trees and stump grinding, is that they're a resilient sort, and the existing root network will continue to try and grow. one bradford pear almost had me committed to the funny farm....but i digress....

is there anything i can do to expedite the expiration of the entire root network? drill holes in what's left of the root ball and pour in kerosene/gasoline?

the maple's root system has compromised the foundation/buried drain tiles, not to mention has started to crack the brick wall of the areaway near it, so it has to go, go completely, and go quickly.

TIA

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,364

Large stump killing?

Why not just have the whole thing, stump and roots included removed?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Large stump killing?

Ayuh,.... after the stump is ground down, 'n you've picked up the millin's,...
But before ya bury the remains, coat it with Clorox, once a day, for a week or so,...

Then bury it, 'n regrade the area,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 85

Large stump killing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why not just have the whole thing, stump and roots included removed?
because that would entail having 25% of the back yard excavated....

this thing has a dozen surface roots, about 3 to 4" in diameter, going 15+ feet out into the yard...it's a massively, intricately, rooted tree.

the clorox thing sounds promising, better than pouring expensive go-go juice on it...thanks, i look into that.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Large stump killing?

On the farm used to used dynamite to clear stumps in the open when clearing a field or other large area. But not near building or with as large a tree with the extensive root system you describe.

Also remember an uncle who would drill holes (with a brace and bit, back then) into the stump and surface roots and pour some blend of chemicals into the holes. Would then cover it with burlap, leaving it this way till the next year. And then it would burn (probably with the help of kerosene) - albeit slowly, but it was pretty effective as I recall.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

Large stump killing?

First, don't be pouring any benzine on the ground. That is just dumb.

If you want to kill the tree, use some Tordon type product around the growth ring. It won't take much.

If you want the stump removed, have it ground down. If this isn't an option, have it cut as close as possible to the ground and have the stump so that it will hold water.

This will be difficult with your maple because it is probably hollow.

If it is not hollow, then I think you can buy some stump rot promoter. Dump that on it and keep it moist and covered. This is going to be like a yeast infection. The more mold the better.

After a couple of years you should have some rotten wood there to smash with an axe and then you are finished.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Large stump killing?

Also the silver maple stump will not shoot suckers anyway NEAR that of the Bradford pear( which IMO should never have been invented). I would get as much ground out as possible and go the tordon( or other brush killer) route. You can chop the surface roots out with a good ax

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote