Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

Landscaping- Suggestions on a raised Flower Bed?

We just moved into a house that the back yard is all dirt from re-routing plumbing and building a garage, this clean slate for a back yard has got me itching to do some landscaping.

Along the side of the garage I think there is the perfect spot for a raised Flower Bed... I have 2 questions I was hoping to get some help with...

1: What are some important dos and dont's for a raised flower bed, I really would like to do it right.

2: Is there a specific Rose plant that would do well with not so much light?

Been doing lots of research on this but I thought I would see if anyone has had success with this.

Thanks!!

PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Doing a raised bed is actually quite simple. The major don't is to not use chemically treated materials, such as pressure treated wood for your frames. Otherwise, you can use almost anything to build a nice looking frame.
Fill with good quality compost and layer with garden soil.
As for a rose, the Knockout Rose is able to do quite well in lower light levels. It is an easy to care for rose, which explains its rapid rise in popularity.

natwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #3

Sounds strang but do not use landscape timbers. Read the tag on the end it says not below ground rated, once you back fill it's below grade and will rot out.
Use the better grade of weed block laid down before any border.
Use at least pressure treated 4 X 4's, 4 X 6's or 6 X6's metal, stone or plastic edging.
If you do them out of wood drill 1/2 holes in them and use 1/2 rebar to hold in place, to form an outside corner it's best to cut 1/2 way through the width of the material and knock that piece out. Then it can over lap the piece below and drill through both pieces and add a piece of rebar.
If you do not tie the two together it will bow out.
I just hate to see someone try to use bricks or those white brick with scolloped edges, unless the set blow grade and mortered together they tend to just tip ove and move every time they get touched.
Having a flower bed up tight againt a foundation can be very bad. It hold in moisture, that termites need to make there tunnels, and allows water to pool up and get under the foundation.
Use a mulch with a Termicide in it, Lowes and Home Depot sell it.
I stongly suggest not using hard wood mulch. it compacts and can mold up. It also makes a great way to germiate weeds.
Add Preen to any mulch once the flowers are established. It helps to stop weeds from getting started.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

Much appreciated!! Great advice thank you so much
PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

Most of the PT lumber is safe to use. Just line whatever (wood or block) with landscape fabric to prevent yourself from losing dirt. On my beds, I till up the ground where my beds are to be placed, so any roots have a better chance of growing downward, just in case they need to go deeper. Pretty simple and because it's above ground it'll get warmer faster and you'll be able to plant earlier in the spring.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Everything in every field becomes a matter of opinion .... I avoid pressure treated for organic reasons, mostly.
natwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natwlsn
Doing a raised bed is actually quite simple. The major don't is to not use chemically treated materials, such as pressure treated wood for your frames. Otherwise, you can use almost anything to build a nice looking frame.
Fill with good quality compost and layer with garden soil.
As for a rose, the Knockout Rose is able to do quite well in lower light levels. It is an easy to care for rose, which explains its rapid rise in popularity.
You mentioned filling with compost. Was curious if ground-up leaves would be an option for mulch instead of wood chips? (I have A LOT of leaves!)
Scottphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

I've used leaves, dryed grass clipping, Peat moss, composted manure, top soil, hard wood mulch I got for free from a tree service company. Tilled it in and come spring it was nice dark soil. We had tomatos untill Nov. in VA.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
I can fix that!

If you are just planting flowers I would go with PT lumber or anything else that is treated/made for contact with wet soil. If you plan on ever putting veggies or herbs in, I'd stay clear or anything treated and go with redwood, cedar, rock, or plain doug fir lumber. You can usually find organic compost on craigslist for aound $18 a yard delivered.
kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

I will say that if you use clippings from your yard, be sure that you haven't just fertilized your yard. I always put my fall clippings on, which is a good 8-10 weeks after I have fertilized.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote