DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Landscaping help...Lots of pics

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Looking for some helpful tips and advice as I am totally clueless to landscaping. Just moved into my first house recently and the property has some nice landscaping, however, I am looking to learn to properly maintain the landscaping.

These trees, bushes, and plants are getting out of control and I need to tackle them sooner rather than later. I fear that some are damaged beyond repair due to the past Winter. Well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I think the only plant you'll have trouble with is the arborvitae's. Do a search for arborvitae to see which ones I'm talking about they're the rounded bushes. They're shaped and well behaved plant HOWEVER they must be trimmed periodically to keep their form, they can not be allowed to overgrow as cutting them back beyond green, that spot will never grow green again. The pictures of arborvitae you show that has no green, don't expect green ever in that spot so if it's something you see ditch the plant and get a new one.

The arborvitae's are cheap, and easy to root. Around here the conical ones sell for $6.97 or you can take cuttings, put them in a rooting hormone, put them in a bucket with peat/soil and cover it with a plastic bag and in 4 weeks should be rooted. Most people just go out and buy new.

So I think you can safely trim back all the plants you have pictured except the arborvitae bushes have to go. They look to have grown too much, and can't be cut back to the size they would look good so should be yanked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.