Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Share |

Landscaping computer program

Good Morning All,

My wife and I purchased a home July 2011 that needs a lot of work on the outside. We have 5 foot stone retaining wall that is falling apart and is going to need replacing, some grading issues, and multiple mini gardens that we are going to be turning into grass. Long story short, my entire 2012 is going to be devoted to this yard.

We want to try to do as much as we can ourselves, and from what I have researched here so far, its all within reason. We want to start planning now so we can have have the blueprint all ready to go for when it starts getting warm. The part of the lot I will be working on has about 7 feet of grade change from front to back.

Does anyone have any experience with any landscaping computer programs that will let me do significantly different grades, retaining walls etc?

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There are a number of retail programs out there for doing residential landscapes but I haven't cared much for them. Most are under $50. Among other things many of them do not let you set the scales and they restrict the size plot you can draw. Of course their is AutoCad and programs like it that are full blown drawing/drafting programs. In fact, I think there is a "light" version of AutoCad.

I stumbled on Sweet Home 3D some time ago now and love it. It is free and open source. It works cross platform. You can set the scale. Although originally for floorplans there is no reason you cannot use it for landscape plans. Several contributors have developed complete sets of design elements like trees, shrubs, garden structures you can download.

Whatever you pick, you want to be able to draw the overall plot, position the house, and then do overlays for your planting plan, building plan for outdoor structures, irrigation plan and of course your grading plan. Sweet Home 3D will let you do that. Like more sophisticated programs, it also builds a running take-off list which is nice.

It will not calculate grade changes and I do not know if there are programs that do. It would be handy. I am not sure how well it will handle detail drawings but I think it is worth a shot given that it is free.

Do post and let us know what works out?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

Upon further research it seems like the best program for my needs is going to be this one...
http://amzn.com/B005S4Z6WU

You have to know your way around contour lines, but it seems like you can literally sculpt your lot.
teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #4

I think you can try the osram timer, this one control the landscape lights and pool cleaner automatic. Did you buy any low voltage brass lights?
Brass blacksmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass blacksmit View Post
I think you can try the osram timer, this one control the landscape lights and pool cleaner automatic. Did you buy any low voltage brass lights?
Get a grip dude! You make no sense.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #6

I am sorry paste wrong words, sorry

Brass blacksmit is offline   Reply With Quote