Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Landscaper to Pour Concrete For Patio?

Hi-
I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere else in this forum. I'm currently receiving estimates for a concrete patio. For the most part, I've received estimates from contractors that have a concrete license. I also received a quote for the patio from a contractor licensed in landscaping. I hit it off well with the landscaper, and he told me that a landscaping license includes patio/walkway work. My question is if you advise going with a contractor that's licensed for concrete work or if a landscaper is just as qualified. Thanks.

tibetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

I am curious where you live. In MA, a contractor gets a contractor's license with no specific designation so far as I know. How he advertises himself, that is a different matter. Individuals (not companies) can also be license, for example we have licensed electricians, plumbers, hair dressers, accountants, engineers, architects, in fact there are over a hundred professions where an individual can get licensed, but so far as I know there is only one contractor license.

That said, in your specific area, I wonder exactly what it means to be a licensed "concrete" contractor. Did the company file specific paperwork? Do they have on their staff a licensed concrete supervisor? Probably all you care about is whether the individuals who are going to do your work actually know what they are doing, and I am not sure there is any connection at all between a company holding a "concrete license" and whether the specific individuals who show up to do the work are competent.

I would learn as much as you can about concrete placement, then quiz the people who are going to do the work to see if they are up to speed. That might be the best you can do.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 79

It all depends on where you live & what your city, town, village, HA, etc., requires if anything.