Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Share |

Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass

I have a beautiful 35' Sunset Red Maple on a sloping hill seemingly killing the grass around it. Some of the roots are also exposed. The HOA is on me to plant more grass, but I know it won't be long until it kills it again. The sun here is strong and the soil below the top soil is that famous Colorado mix of clay and sand. I know the tree just needs a ton of water and water here is hard to come by, so it steals it from the grass.

I found a bunch of old 8' and 9' railroad ties on Craigslist for free and was going to build a tree box around it and fill with dirt, until I read on here adding dirt around a tree can kill it because of the fungus it promotes. I also read some nasty chemical in the railroad ties might kill the tree. So what do I do? Some of the dead grass patches around the tree extend out 10' to 15'? do I just border it off with metal border, fill it with rock and call it an "Abstract Lawn"? I'm going to try and post some pics. Any Pro advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by peakcelln; 05-10-2012 at 10:28 AM.
peakcelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

I see I havent had anyone Comment or give advice, so I posted these pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-063med.jpg   Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-064med.jpg   Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-065med.jpg   Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-066med.jpg   Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-067med.jpg  

Landscaper Challenge: 35' Maple on slope killing grass-2012-05-06-068med.jpg  

Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

What does the homeowners association suggest?

Is the water supply a common facility without individual meters?

Can you cut a circular area around the tree, escavate two or three inches, and bark mulch that and also plant flowers and other decorations?
Ravenworks (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Heard of a similar problem with river birches, and a tree company was going to have to remove the current sod, add 4 inches of soil and then re sod. Probably don't want to go that route, but why not just mulch around it or use something like edgers and river rock?
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
What does the homeowners association suggest?

Is the water supply a common facility without individual meters?

Can you cut a circular area around the tree, escavate two or three inches, and bark mulch that and also plant flowers and other decorations?
Having grown up in New York and the East, the biggest Homeowner shock here is how expensive it is to water your grass. It's very common for any decent sized lawn to spend an extra $125-150 on your lawn. Seems kinda silly trying to basically grow a weed in a desert. The water is all personally metered.

Bark wont work in Colorado, even the largest size blows away. Rock is what is needed, but It tends to roll down hill. The pitch of that hill is actually a lot steeper than it looks.

This is why I wanted to plant a tree box using the railroad ties seen behind it in one of the pictures. I just dont know how to build it and now I'm thinking it will probably harm the tree; either in installation, fill dirt, or the nasty chemical I read is in all real railroad ties.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
Heard of a similar problem with river birches, and a tree company was going to have to remove the current sod, add 4 inches of soil and then re sod. Probably don't want to go that route, but why not just mulch around it or use something like edgers and river rock?
I was affraid the river rock wouldnt stay put and would roll down the hill. I also went out and checked out my sprinkler system. It seems the head at the base of that hill is not really hitting the area needed. This may be my whole problem and why this problem suddenly reared its ugly head after almost 11 years of being adequate; either that or the tree is now bigger and requires more water. I think I may have to find a good sprinkler guy in the Castle Rock area that can tell me what I need; without charging me an arm and a leg.