Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Landscape Virgin Needs Help!!!

I wanted to get some ideas from you guys because right now my house looks like a trailer home. I was wonder how I can brighten the outside and really make it come alive. I removed the previous landscaping

I really do like the pretty girly look. My grandmother's neighbor has dark pink flowers in her yard with sprouts of purple, a small tree and some plants (typical house plants).

Please help me with some ideas. I have never gardened or landscaped before and I have no idea what I am doing. I live in the midwest and I know I can have magnificent results with a lot of hardwork.

I've attached a picture of my home and a picture of some plants that I like (found at the zoo). If you know the name of the plant please tell me. I also show the steps. How do I fix them? Thank you

eta. i don't know why only one pic is showing. also, i'm having the roof done. i know it looks bad. lol

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/01fbd3b7.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/3a2831f4.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/615b3725.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/baba0be7.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/a283e8a0.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Landscape Virgin Needs Help!!!-baba0be7.jpg  

girlscandoittoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hi. I think what you are looking for when you say you like that "girly" look might be a Cottage garden.Try this link:www.gracefulgardens.com/ . I would start by removing anything green remaining from your concrete beds (which could look kinda cool properly planted) by digging out the large vegetation and then a couple of applications of Roundup (seek advice on use). After all the remaining green is gone you'll want to amend your soil with some compost,peat moss or quality topsoil and maybe a good organic fertilizer like Milorganite. Turn all of this in and loosen up the soil to prepare for your flower planting.So as not to overwhelm yourself since you're new to all of this,I would only worry about your concrete beds for the time being and leave the area to the right of the steps for later. The plant that you like in your picture is some sort of an ornamental sedge grass,Google it and you'll find it. I've never been a fan,but it's your garden,not mine. As far as the steps go,it's a little hard to tell from your pic, but it appears to be separated between the step and walk.You would need to excavate the crack some,tamp,add some gravel and mix up a good concrete mix and trowel flush with walk.That's if I'm seeing your picture correctly. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 AM   #3

Here's a link to the sedge www.greatgardenplants.com
Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

^^^Thank you so much! Yes that's a crack in the stairs. I'm working right now. I'll check out the Cottoge garden look and the website this evening.

Thanks again!
girlscandoittoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #5

You go,girlfriend.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

if none of this is what your looking for go on over to Diy network click on desperate landscapes and write a letter telling why you should have Jason come do your yard that will fix it right up......................JUst kidding I have thought about calling him myself but i would also get something for in front of the house like boxwoods (i like em) or even make your planters higher.To me from the pictures the front just looks plain it need color and hight.The yard looks good though
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I've done lots of landscaping at three houses and the best thing to do is go to the library and check out some books on how to lay out the landscaping. Even if you can't do it all at once, it will help so that you have a plan. Then measure the areas and lay them out on graph paper -- great for erasing and starting over again. A few basic points -- you want to layer plants in by size -- taller and bigger ones in the back, lower ones in the front (basic, but some people forget this...). Pick a color scheme, look for unique leaf colors or structures. You can go in many directions with types of plants. Find books that will show garden layouts. Good luck!

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote