Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Share |

Landscape lights

I am stumped on how to lay out lights... how far should we generally space them out? I heard down lights should be 4-6 ft apart, is this common? how far apart should up facing spot lights be placed? should they generally shine up on the flat parts of the house where there are no windows to create a vertical effect? When my house was built they put lines in ground for lights but never put lights in.. go figure.. but the lines run all the way down our 60 ft long driveway and along our semi circle driveway in the front of the house where they have hedges planted... not sure if there should be lights there or not? Any suggestions? I have three sides of a house to work with (corner lot) plus the driveways are landscaped down them... I can see this adding up to a lot of lights even spaced 5 ft apart
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

Landscape lights

If your 'down lights' are referring to pathlights, then i would recommend spacing them further than 4-6' apart, unless you like the 'airport runway' look. If you purchase good quality fixtures, you will also get higher wattage bulbs, and you could go about 10' apart for pathlights. The LED fixtures that are just becoming available are a bit expensive, but will give you lots of light with very little wattage.

Same goes for spotlights- too many will make your home look like an amusement park. Play around with the locations at night to get a feel for what looks right. Less is more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Landscape lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenConcepts View Post
Play around with the locations at night to get a feel for what looks right. Less is more.
Agreed - I connect up lights by just running the wires over the ground and such and wait for night to see what it looks like.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote