Landscape Lighting For Tall Trees - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Landscape Lighting for tall trees

I wonder if anyone could give me some pointers on this. I'm in the process of planning to install landscape lighting for my back yard. I have two large trees (giant birds of paradise) that are roughly 6 at the base and about 25 30 tall each. I was thinking of getting some low voltage halogen floodlights for them but Im unclear as to how many lights and what power would be required to light them as well as possible.

Any insight would be welcome

Advertisement

blue_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Use spotlights; either LED fixtures or fixtures with MR16 halogen bulbs. The MR16 bulbs are available in 20, 35 and 50 watt and you can also get the bulbs with different 'spreads' - narrow vs a wide beam. Two fixtures per tree should be fine. Get good quality spotlights with knuckles for adjusting the angle of the light. Nightscaping, Hadco, and Hanover make nice landscape fixtures. I am not fond of what is available at the big box stores.

Advertisement

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm not clear what wattage would work best but I guess I can start with 20W and if it is underpowered I can increase to a higher wattage.
blue_can is offline   Reply With Quote