Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

landscape irrigation system drip tubing

A friend's house has brown continuous tubing that is on a zone of the landscape irrigation system. It has emitters about every 18 inches, I guess, is covered by mulch and seems to be a great way to water shrubs and flowers without wasting water. The name of the product sounds like "netti" something, she said, but not sure of spelling.

Can anyone identify this product for me so I can do more research on it?

remodelingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #2

Toro has a kit for a job like that. I bought it at Home Depot. It has tubing, emittors, connectors, etc. They also sell tubing separately to extend the range.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Like this?

http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_i...oducts_id=1073
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Kap
Mowing my life away.

I would prefer a system the didn't have the emitters pre-installed so i could place them as I want them.

These systems are amazingly simple to install even if you have no experience.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Thanks for replying, but no, not like that. This system was installed by a professional installer and operated by a zone of the irrigation system. It is about 150 feet in length. The emitters are built into the tubing. I believe it can only be purchased at an irrigation supply house but cannot find the actual name of it in order to call the supply house. I've tried all the little tubing and soaker hoses, etc., before and was not satisfied.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #6

I spent the last couple of weekends installing and tweaking your basic HD drip system, and it works very well. I am going on vacation for 2 weeks and since it hasn't rained in 42 days with a stretch of 19 days over 100 degrees, I needed something to keep it alive, if not to spur growth.

System:
2 hose end assemblies (Digital timer, backflow preventer, pressure regulator).
250' of 1/2" tube.
200' of 1/4" tube.
100+ heads ranging from 1GPH drippers to mini sprinklers.

Runs 5 minutes every morning and saves me 2 hours a day of hand watering with the hose, to say nothing of the amount of water saved. Total cost: $160 bucks!
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Kap
Mowing my life away.

By "zone of the irrigation system", I assume you mean it's hooked up to a vale on a timer?

Drip systems can be set up that way. I bought two pre-assembled 3 valve manifold kitss made by Orbit for 50 bucks from Home Depot. Have them hooked to Toro 10 zone timer-another 50 bucks I have PVC on some valves, soaker hose on one and drip system on a couple valves. All my pvc is above ground. I live in a rural area on ag land. Pig farm on one side of me pasture with horses on another side, so I didn't need a profeesional, clean looking install.I'm probably just rambling here...anyway, are you looking to install yourself, or will hire someone? You can save a lot by DYI. When I'm doing irrigation installs, I base my labor bid on $65/hr. Check out some of the commercial irrigation supply places if you want better than the typical HD/Lowes/Walmart budget systems.All that cost me around $300 and keeps 1000 sq ft of veg garden and a quarter acre nursery adequately watered.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
I do know some things

It is netafim www.netafim.com

You can get it in 12, 18, and 24 (i think) spacing.

100/200/300 ft rolls if memory serves

Comes in like .6, .8 gallons per hour.

In new systems we would install it with a drip valve assembly, valve/psi regualtor/ and filter. We would lay out the tube in a grid if it was a large bed area, or just loop it around each plant creating a circle around the root zone. I always tried to make a comple circuit, tying the tube back on to itself to help with flow and psi concerns.

Old or retro-fit systems where there wasnt a wire to power the drip valve we would tie into the nearest zone lateral, install a pressure regulator and adapt to the drip tubing. A rotor zone works well since in our area they typically run 3-4 days a weeek for 30min per cycle.
swade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swade View Post
It is netafim www.netafim.com

You can get it in 12, 18, and 24 (i think) spacing.

100/200/300 ft rolls if memory serves

Comes in like .6, .8 gallons per hour.

In new systems we would install it with a drip valve assembly, valve/psi regualtor/ and filter. We would lay out the tube in a grid if it was a large bed area, or just loop it around each plant creating a circle around the root zone. I always tried to make a comple circuit, tying the tube back on to itself to help with flow and psi concerns.

Old or retro-fit systems where there wasnt a wire to power the drip valve we would tie into the nearest zone lateral, install a pressure regulator and adapt to the drip tubing. A rotor zone works well since in our area they typically run 3-4 days a weeek for 30min per cycle.
That's it. Thanks. I'll use a professional installer. We do have one unused zone on our controller. Have you found any particular problems with the Netafim system or things I need to look out for?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
I do know some things

Nothing that would deter me from using it. Just typical maintenance issues that all drip systems have.

IE: Cleaning out the filter every month or so. Make sure your installer uses one. Its better to clean out a filter than have 100's of clogged emitters.

Flushing out the lines every month or so. Again have the installer install a flush cap of some type at the end of the run and open it a few times per season to flush out anything that the filter doesnt catch.

Carefull winterizing a drip zone, im not too proud to say ive blown a few fittings off

Other than that, make sure the installer uses plenty of sod staples to anchor the tubing, we did it every 2 ft, might be overkill but never had any issues with it raising thru the mulch.

Here is a link to Rainbirds drip components, I have used both Rainbird and Netafims tube, very very similar. Take note of the valve, strainer (filter) and psi regulator, I recommend them highly, and make sure they are installed in a valve box, makes the service work easy

http://www.rainbird.com/drip/products/control/index.htm
swade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
San Diego Landscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelingagain View Post
That's it. Thanks. I'll use a professional installer. We do have one unused zone on our controller. Have you found any particular problems with the Netafim system or things I need to look out for?
Of course, the ground doesn't freeze here, so I can's address "winterizing" the system. Having said that, we've installed miles of Netafim Techline CV.

Most landscapers in my area have little/no experience with it, and don't know how to install it properly. Actually, if you're handy, you can do it yourself, Netafim has excellent technical materials. A Y-filter & 30psi Low-Flow (.125-8gpm) filters are a MUST.

My favorite for planter beds is the .6gph / 12" spacing. Use only Netafim barb connectors, make sure you install it in a loop/grid. The Flush Cap that swade mentioned in the previous post is smart - it allows you to flush the entire line. Locate it "furthest" from where the water supply enters the "loop".

When cut/damaged, repairing it is easy - just cut out the damaged emitter & splice in a new one, or just use a barb connector to repair a cut, if you don't hit the emitter that is welded inside of the tubing.

We install the tubing on grade, and hold it in place with a few jute staples . After install, we go back & carve a channel 1" deep (claw hammer works well) & let the tubing drop in, cover with dirt & staple every 2' to hold it down.

Last edited by SECO Landscapes; 07-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.
SECO Landscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #12

Thanks, Swade and Seco Landscapes. Hope I can find an installer that knows something about it.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I spent the last couple of weekends installing and tweaking your basic HD drip system, and it works very well. I am going on vacation for 2 weeks and since it hasn't rained in 42 days with a stretch of 19 days over 100 degrees, I needed something to keep it alive, if not to spur growth.

System:
2 hose end assemblies (Digital timer, backflow preventer, pressure regulator).
250' of 1/2" tube.
200' of 1/4" tube.
100+ heads ranging from 1GPH drippers to mini sprinklers.

Runs 5 minutes every morning and saves me 2 hours a day of hand watering with the hose, to say nothing of the amount of water saved. Total cost: $160 bucks!
got any links to this kind of setup? This sounds like what i want. i want somthing that i can put emitters where i want them. Also, do these kinds of setups get plumbed into your plumbing, or are you supposed to just run a hose out to it? i want to do as clean of an install as possible
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
San Diego Landscaper

Jimmy - There are more variations to "drip" than you can imagine.

Yes, you can do what you described... either "directly hooked to the plumbing" (with an irrigation valve w/ backflow prefenter), or just hooked up to a hose bib (use a "y" device - so you can still use the hose)

The more "permanant" the installation, the more reliable and durable (if installed properly). Contact DripWorks to get instructions, catalog, and for supplies, if you can't find what you need at your local store - Home Depot or Lowes isn't really teh best place to find this stuff - their selection is OK, if you must.
salesATdripworksusa.com (Replace the AT with @ for their email addy)

TSCARBOROUGH - Make sure you have a Y-filter($10-$20) on that setup - to prolong the working life of the emitters indefinitely. Without one, they may be prone to fail (clog).

Last edited by SECO Landscapes; 07-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.
SECO Landscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelingagain View Post
A friend's house has brown continuous tubing that is on a zone of the landscape irrigation system. It has emitters about every 18 inches, I guess, is covered by mulch and seems to be a great way to water shrubs and flowers without wasting water. The name of the product sounds like "netti" something, she said, but not sure of spelling.

Can anyone identify this product for me so I can do more research on it?
The company is Netafim -- Like many of the minimal water systems the company is based in Israel. They have a full line of drip tape, drip tube, drip emitters, micro, mini, and macro sprinklers. Spend an evening on Jeff Stryker's page http://www.irrigationtutorials.com

sgbotsford is offline   Reply With Quote