Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Landscape Fabric

Hello,
Is there a better product then the type sold in homecenters. I recall using regular landscape fabric in my garden and after a few years, it was breaking apart.
If there is a better product, then I would like to use it as an underlayment to keep pea gravel from sinking into the soil. Comments?

Last edited by rjordan393; 03-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,132

Landscape Fabric

I had the same problem with the fabric I bought at Home Depot years ago. Weeds and grass grew up through it during the first season.

This weekend I bought 2 big rolls of it at Sam's Club, made by Preen. It's 4' x 125' and it's supposed to last for 30 years. It was $18 a roll.

You're smart to use it now. I have a 100' x 30' section of my yard that I landscaped about 8-10 years ago. Large areas of it have 1" stones that we brought here one load at a time from the quarry. So much of it has sunk down into the soil now.

I was looking for a tool that I could use to dig the stones out, but that would let the dirt fall through. That way I could get all of the stones back up to the surface. But I got to thinking about it and I think it will make more sense to start over by laying down the landscaping fabric and covering it with more stones.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Landscape Fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
Hello,
Is there a better product then the type sold in homecenters. I recall using regular landscape fabric in my garden and after a few years, it was breaking apart.
If there is a better product, then I would like to use it as an underlayment to keep pea gravel from sinking into the soil. Comments?
Ayuh,.... Find a Contractor/ Construction supply house.....

We use something locally known as Marify paper...
It's a SUPER Tough woven fabric used for seperating Stone, from Mud in parking lots/ roads...

I've used the same piece as a weed blocker blanket in my garden for over 10 Years...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 79

Landscape Fabric

<We use something locally known as Marify paper...
It's a SUPER Tough woven fabric used for seperating Stone, from Mud in parking lots/ roads...>

Thanks Bondo,
I'll ask my contractor if he can get it.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote