Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Landscape edging

OK, this is my third winter with this green fiberglass edging I purchased from Lowes. While it is holding up well to the elements in terms of looks, i'm tired of the frost heave pushing this stuff almost completely out of the ground each winter. It came with these small, maybe 6" spikes that are supposed to hold the edging in the ground. But they are smooth and round with no teeth to prevent them from coming out. Those may work in the South, but not here in Michigan. The ground just spits it up like nothing. Then the ground closes up behind it and I have to retrench and bury the edging again each Spring. There are so many different kinds/brands of edging out there...does anyone have any recommendations for a location with harsh winters? And not the stainless steel stuff...I hate the way that shiny stuff looks in a yard.

sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 562

Landscape edging

The best edging I have found is plain old rocks. They allow you to weed eat and if they move, kick them back in place. Unless you are going to drive 48" spikes, you will have to reset that type of edging every spring.

Tscarborough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Landscape edging

Aha...plain ole rock...didn't even think about that.

Here i'm always comparing all the different kinds of edging at HD & Lowes thinking there's something that will work.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Landscape edging

I've used thin pieces of limestone or flagstone. Not cheap, but we had some laying around. It's a little more decorative and won't heave out of the ground like the plastic stuff.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 504

Landscape edging

Plain old bricks look neater than stone. They just sit on top of the ground and gradually sink in. I wouldn't think winter would bother them.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Landscape edging

I got my edging right in Michigan. It's aluminum edging and it is manufactured in Grand Rapids, MI. I got it from Dreamscape Outdoor Living at YardProduct.com. It came with 12" reinforced aluminum stakes and there were frost holes on the side of the edging where you could hammer the stakes in at a 45 degree angle, preventing the edging from popping out like that cheap black plastic stuff. I bought the brown painted 120' box and it was very easy to install. They delivered it for free and it took 1 day to get to my house. Hope this helps.
IRW9355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #7

Landscape edging

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRW9355 View Post
I got my edging right in Michigan. It's aluminum edging and it is manufactured in Grand Rapids, MI. I got it from Dreamscape Outdoor Living at YardProduct.com. It came with 12" reinforced aluminum stakes and there were frost holes on the side of the edging where you could hammer the stakes in at a 45 degree angle, preventing the edging from popping out like that cheap black plastic stuff. I bought the brown painted 120' box and it was very easy to install. They delivered it for free and it took 1 day to get to my house. Hope this helps.
How long have you had it in? What has been your experience over the winter...did it heave out of the ground at all?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Landscape edging

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8z View Post
It came with these small, maybe 6" spikes that are supposed to hold the edging in the ground. But they are smooth and round with no teeth to prevent them from coming out.
Just a thought I had: It may be worth it to check out a camping store. I know there are tent stakes for all kinds of ground, even sand and snow. Those may do a better job of keeping the edging in place. Or they may be specialty stakes and cost more than they would be worth to you.

IckesTheSane is offline   Reply With Quote